Question... ATSC/QAM..

Discussion in 'Displays' started by DeathStar1, Jul 4, 2006.

1. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

Correct me if I'm wrong..

My grandparents are looking into this TV...http://www.circuitcity.com/rpsm/oid/...cation.do#tabs

ATSC will get them 702-713 and that's it, right? They'd need QAM in order to get anything higher like YES HD?

or does ATSC get them that as well?

Also, do they need IO's 4.95 package to get the HD channels, or is it good to go as soon as they plug it in? We're getting mixed reports.. They are in the Emlwood PArk area if anyone local knows..

2. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    Is "Emlwood PArk" anywhere near north Mississippi?

I'm through giving you a difficult time. Based on the information you have provided, very few of us can help. But at least here's what we can tell you. ATSC tuner connected to the appropriate antenna will pick up OTA digital signals. Depending on your location, that could mean HD. And by appropriate antenna, I mean anything between a $5 set of rabbit ears to a few hundred on a tower with rotor and pre-amp. QAM tuners will work with un-encrypted digital cable. Most cable companies only send their local channels un-encrypted. To get the encrypted HD channels you would need the appropriate cable box and subscribe to the appropriate cable package.

-Robert

3. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

OK, that's what I wanted to know....ATSC = Antenna. They don't want that... So it's QAM all the way..

My Bad. Elmwood Park = Northern NJ. 702-713 = Cablevision 2-13 HDTV.