What's new

Question: Are there any widescreen TVs with glass screens? (1 Viewer)

Bob_Hay

Auditioning
I have an old Mitzubishi big screen TV from the 1980s and it has a screen that is made of plastic (therefore making the image a little blurry, opposed to TVs where the screens are made of glass). The screen makes a record-scratching noise when you run your fingernail on it because there are lots and lots of ridges on it. Are there any Widescreen TVs with flat glass screens and LCD?

David Abrams

Stunt Coordinator
Bob,

There are no display devices (CRT) on the market bigger than a 40" direct-view with glass screens. Reason for this is weight and expense. Once you hit the rear-projection market you are going with a fresnel lenticular screen with a glare-screen on top of it that should be removed. In terms of LCD sets, they are basically the exact same thing. The best thing you could do is purchase a DLP, LCD, CRT projector and get a separate screen with a 1-1.3 gain to reduce screen distortions.

Best of Luck,

David Abrams
ISF Calibrationist

Jeremy Anderson

Screenwriter
Actually, Toshiba's new Cinema Series line of LCOS rear projection sets has an optical quality glass protective screen. However, I would suspect that the lenticular screen behind it is probably still plastic.

BobHench

Auditioning
Jeremy, I know you are correct about the tempered-glass protective shield on the Toshiba 57HLX82 and David you are right about the weight and expense - this set lists at 300 lbs and sells for $8000! (Now if I could just get one - I have it on order but no delivery date as yet!)

Bob

Users who are viewing this thread