What's new

Question and looking for opinions (1 Viewer)

Charlesbusa

Auditioning
Real Name
Charles
I currently have a 3 year old Onkyo tx sr706. But it's starting to crap out on me. When I change inputs, the majority of the time, it gives me a blue screen with no sounds. So I go back to CBL/SAT then switch back to DVD and it works. Sometimes I have to cycle back forth 4 or 5 times before it works. Same with the game input as well. The cost to repair, asked by phone, will be between $75 and $450 depending on which of the 3 problems it could be. Has to do with the HDMI board or something.
I looked up some comparable current ONKYOs and the tx nr709 and the tx nr616 are both $499 refurbished. But I noticed that they label these and most of their receivers as "network".
My number one priority with my receiver is power to push my 5 speakers without an amp.
#2 is best audio and video experience watching Blu-Rays.
#3 is best audio and video experience playing XBOX360.
All the network features are gravy but not necessary for me.
It's been a few years since I had some knowledge with this stuff. Am I looking at the appropriate models? I'm only mentioning ONKYO to keep it simple. I like Dennon, Harmon-Kardon and Yamaha as well.
Anyone have experience repairing this specific problem?
Thanks for any input!
Charles

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
I haven't used Onkyo personally Charles, but I think they make good products. Other than the problem you are currently having, if you are happy overall with the 706 and how it operates then you should be happy with the more current version the 709. When they call the new models "network" receivers, they mean that they actually have the ability to be on a network, usually to stream MP3 files from a PC or other network device. The exact capabilities depend on the model. Switching brands usually involves a bit of a learning curve as all the good brands you mentioned have the same features, they just call them different names and stick them in different places in the menu.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The X06 models that have HDMI upconversion are known to have had problems with the boards.
If it really is 3 years old...you might try to get it fixed. Onkyo has been know to be lenient towards the 606/706/806.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks