Question About Yamaha Models & Versions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ken Coon, Apr 3, 2002.

1. Ken Coon

Ken Coon Auditioning

I recently purchased a Yamaha RXV2200 from etronics. Before purchasing I searches locally for some time (Washington, DC area) and came to the conclusion that the next best price was $1099 (as opposed to $848 from etronics) so I decided I'd order from them.

Well, I'm happy to say the experience has been very satisfactory so far - it arrived promptly double-boxed. But here is where I have a question for everyone out there:

The unit that was shipped to me from etronics was the general unit (not the US & Canada unit). As far as I can tell the only differences are the power cord is not detachable and there is a voltage selector switch on the back. Is this correct? Should I be concerned about this? Other than that the unit is in great shape. I dont think this is worth returning the unit over unless there is a difference in performance. Any advise or insight this group has I'd appriciate. Thanks!

2. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

What about the warranty? Does it have a USA warranty? or is it what is considered gray goods? That's all I'd be concerned about if your happy with the receiver.

3. Ken Coon

Ken Coon Auditioning

Well, I knew when buying from Etronics that they are not an authorized dealer and therefore Yamaha would not honor the warranty. That was the price I was willing to pay for the purchase. But I was assuming that the unit I'd receive would be the US version.

I can live with the general version IF the changes between the model are just cosmetic and do not impact performance. I'm hoping this to be the case, but dont know for sure.

FYI - I went back to the website to check and I think I came to the conclusion that etronics sold the US version because in the description they say it has a detachable power cord (a US only feature).

4. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Ken,

Just yesterday, I downloaded the new manual for the new 430 / 530 receivers. From what I've read the non-US/Canandian version has a lower output (5 - 10 watts) than the US/Canadian version. I'm not sure how this may apply to your current receiver, but it's something you might want to look a little further into.

5. Ken Coon

Ken Coon Auditioning

I did a little more follow up and now I'm thinking about returning this and picking it up at Uncles Stereo. I spoke with them today and they were very up front about the fact that they are not an authorized seller, but will give me an in store warrenty for two years, plus he confirmed that the model was indeed the US/Canada version. All this for the same price as etronics - $850!

I bought my first DVD player from them and my first receiver (a panasonic A110 and kenwood 2090) and I have been quite happy with their service. I'm still a little on the fence about this so anyone elses input would be greatly appriciated. I suppose there is still a small struggle going on to just go to a B&M store and buy it here. The problem is it would be a big blow to the ego as I really didnt like the "snooty" attidute I experienced at Myer-Emco.

6. MatthewJ S

MatthewJ S Supporting Actor

$950 at your new Yamaha retailer in fredericksburg...

7. Ken Coon

Ken Coon Auditioning

Which authorized dealer is that? I'd go there and pick it up in a second! An extra 80-100 is worth the piece of mind. Thanks!

8. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer