question about wireless speakers.

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by paul e., Feb 1, 2004.

1. paul e.

paul e. Agent

Jun 12, 2002
    we just moved in to a new house and for some reason it is'nt wired for surround sound like every other house out there, so i'm trying to save myself the hassle of climbing up in the attic and running wire through the walls and i'm wondering is there something out there i could plug in to my receiver to run my two surrounds without wires? i found this : but it says it has a ten watt amp, and my surrounds would normally have 100 watts going to them. if anyone has any suggestions i'd love to hear them. thanks, paul.
  2. Tim K

Tim K Second Unit

Jul 7, 1999
    the only way to avoid running speaker wire is to use wireless speakers. Personally, I question the quality that can be achieved using wireless speakers, but that is my opinion. Secondly, even wireless speakers are NOT really wireless. They need power since they are not getting it from the receiver so they need to be plugged in. That means that now you have to run power cords.

Do it right and you'll appreciate it. You don't have to go up to the attic. You can run them in the baseboards just as easily. Pry off the trim along the floor, tuck the wires behind it, and tack it back in place. Then cut a small hole in the wall where you are going to mount the speaker and fish the wire up. That is what I'll have to do since there is no attic/crawlspace above my HT.
  3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Aug 5, 1999
    I don’t think you’ve really thought this through, Paul. There's a reason these things usually have only a few watts. Can you imagine how big and heavy a wireless speaker would have to be if it had a 100-watt amp in it? Then there’s the receiver/transmitter situation where hi-fidelity performance is demanded – i.e., an interference-free system that’s really clean with a high S/N ratio, wide-range frequency response, etc. I can imagine that part alone would jack up the price at least $100-200.

Bottom line, it’s cheaper to hardwire even if you have to pay someone to do it.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt