Question about watt output for the Sony DA4ES

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Aaron Cohen, Jan 23, 2003.

1. Aaron Cohen

Aaron Cohen Second Unit

Hi, I have no speakers yet for my STR-DA4ES but wanted to test it. A friend has small bookshelf speakers that handle up to about 60 watts. I believe that the DA4ES outputts 120 watts per channel. Would it be safe to hook up these speakers just to test them out or would it immediately blow them? Is there a volume level it should be kept under to avoid bowing these speakers? Thanks!

2. Adam_D

Adam_D Stunt Coordinator

the 4es is 110w per channel. i'm still new to the whole HT game, but i would think at low volumes the speakers may be able to handle the 4es but if it was turned up to loud they could be damaged, i wouldn't do it. i just bought my 4es and it sounds really good. i haven't really got to play with it too much b/c of work and school but i got all weekend[​IMG]

3. Craig_Kg

Craig_Kg Supporting Actor

It takes a lot of abuse to over power a speaker. Unless you play test at very high volumes for sustained periods, it will be safe. I have ben trying to burn out a set of 18W speakers for a couple of years now. Admittedly, I don't try for long as they start distorting fairly easily [​IMG].