Question about watching HD broadcasts when they don't lock on a format

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jason Cald****, Jan 4, 2003.

1. Jason Cald****

Jason Cald**** Stunt Coordinator

With my Sony 57hw40 i can still select Progressive, Interlaced, and Cinemotion. It does not lock like other HD signals i input. I assume i would choose progressive, but truth is none really look that different. Should it lock on something when in HD off Cable?

I have Comcast Cable with a Motorolla HD cable box.

Thanks

2. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Jason,
    If that tv (I own the same model) is fed anything other than 480i, the cinemotion choices are not available. If you can choose these, you're not feeding it HD.

So there's a possibility that some setting on your box isn't done correctly, or you're tuning to channels that aren't in HD.

If you have an instruction manual for that box, I'd recommend you study it to find out what's going on, or call your cable company to find out which channels are sent out in HD format by them.

3. Jason Cald****

Hmm ya thats what i thought to. They did not give me a instuction manuel with the motorolla HD box. I have the component video going out to the tv from the box, i will have to try to play with it some tomorrow. If anyone has any ideas please post.

Thanks

4. Jim Lenneman

Jim Lenneman Stunt Coordinator

5. Jason Cald****

Thanks a lot Jim, the guy did not turn on the HD output from the menu.

To get to the menu you have to turn the box off then hit menu then pick the output.

I want 1080i output right?

Problem is now with the output on it locks the rest of my channels in 4:3 and i can't stretch or fill them.

I quess i can just watch it on another inpput and switch to my HD input when i want to watch those channels, is that what most people do? I assume most people don't watch the rest of there channels in 4:3 with a widescreen TV.

The choices for screensize output is Cropped, Letterbox, and Pan and Scan. I assume i would pick Letterbox for my widescreen right?

Thanks

Just need to get my replay whipped into shape now =).

6. Jim Lenneman

Jim Lenneman Stunt Coordinator

Can't help with the menu settings, my Motorola cable box is a 2224, not HD or AC-3 capable. I just had to find the manual in order to resolve some hookup problems. What you said does sound correct however. Detroit huh? I'm originally a Michigander myself. Go Wings!!!!

Jim L