What's new

Question about Warner Archive MOD TV series sets (1 Viewer)

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I don't think WAC will end with Feltenstein's departure. I do believe there will be certain people who will adapt to what we want. I hope they will not put the Hanna-Barbera line on moratorium.

~Ben

In the worst case scenario, Warner might very well just use WAC solely as a dumping ground for current tv show season sets they don't want to release through the mass market.

For example, current shows like Prodigal Son, Mom, etc ... which have been released through WAC for all their seasons so far (except for Mom season 1 which had a standard mass market release by Warner proper in 2014).

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Sadly, I think you are correct, Neil. Even with Feltenstein there over the past several years, they've released very little pre-1980s TV on DVD. I guess we should count ourselves lucky to have gotten season one of Mr. Novak released.

Which I might get sooner or later from Amazon, owing to all the rave reviews (not just for the show, but for its presentation on Warner's MOD, IIRC).

High C

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andante
Hi, haven't posted in a long time. but I've been lurking and never nuked myself. (I never do on any board in case I want to come back.) I got some of the Man From UNCLE re-edited and expanded Euro movies years ago and they never skipped on me, fwiw. I'll admit I haven't dug them out in a while, though.

M90GM

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JUSTIN
I’ve had only one burned disc fail on me. I’ve had many more pressed discs go. The one MOD disc that did fail, Warner Archive replaced it like two years after the fact. I personally wouldn’t hesitate to buy if it was something I wanted.
I HAVE HAD 4 WARNER BURNED DISCS ISSUED EARLY 2020'S CORRUPT, ALWAYS AROUND THE MIDDLE AND WITH NO APPARENT SCRATCHES ...Warner Archive MOD discs have so far never failed....seems nothing can be done if cleaning options and even toothpaste rub does not help...

Bevilacq12

Auditioning
Real Name
Cory
I wish there was a thread that kept track of all known knowledge about which releases were available in pressed versions. I was disappointed to receive a burned copy of Manifest: Season 2 today. I assume that's all that's available (didn't purchase it from Amazon, plus Amazon apparently closed its MOD services before this was released anyway), but there's really nowhere to check besides asking in semi-related threads and hoping someone else has notes to compare.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
1624918510291.png

I would love to know why this one particular TV series should be so incredibly expensive. I see half-season DVD sets selling for 50 and 60 dollars. That's crazy. Even the once-ridiculous LOST IN SPACE wasn't that bad.

Other Quinn Martin shows are bargain-basement compared to this one - and those are all pressed discs, not MOD.

I can buy the entire series of MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE on Blu-ray, for about the price of a just half-season of THE FBI.

The show was pretty decent most of the time, from what I can recall from 60 years ago, and I'd love to revisit it. The MOD program started this series ages ago so you'd think that there'd be some sort of price reduction. It doesn't stream anywhere just for viewing.

The 1960's

Premium
Real Name
Neal Rose
View attachment 101706
I would love to know why this one particular TV series should be so incredibly expensive. I see half-season DVD sets selling for 50 and 60 dollars. That's crazy. Even the once-ridiculous LOST IN SPACE wasn't that bad.

Other Quinn Martin shows are bargain-basement compared to this one - and those are all pressed discs, not MOD.

I can buy the entire series of MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE on Blu-ray, for about the price of a just half-season of THE FBI.

The show was pretty decent most of the time, from what I can recall from 60 years ago, and I'd love to revisit it. The MOD program started this series ages ago so you'd think that there'd be some sort of price reduction. It doesn't stream anywhere just for viewing.
The half-season schtick is particularly annoying. Who started that, CBS? I have the entire series but it took a great deal of patience to wait for the right prices. All told I don't think the series was any kind of a classic in my opinion. DeepDiscount doesn't seem to be too high priced.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
The full series would still be pretty expensive at those DDD prices, which I admit are better than Amazon.

Why not a full series release at a reasonable price. Admittedly, the series is just not worth what they seem to be asking.

The 1960's

Premium
Real Name
Neal Rose
The full series would still be pretty expensive at those DDD prices, which I admit are better than Amazon.

Why not a full series release at a reasonable price. Admittedly, the series is just not worth what they seem to be asking.
No argument from me. Appears Warner has completely abandoned all thoughts of Classic TV On DVD. There's quite a few series I'd buy as Complete Series at a good price. For example, many of their westerns that I refused to pay the individual season price tags on.

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
No argument from me. Appears Warner has completely abandoned all thoughts of Classic TV On DVD. There's quite a few series I'd buy as Complete Series at a good price. For example, many of their westerns that I refused to pay the individual season price tags on.
I am sure that, if the current situation becomes even more dire, they may even abandon any thought of classic TV on streaming. That is, whatever shows up on HBO Max in the future may be all-new original programming, same as what Netflix did in its later years (especially after that service's licensing deal with Disney ended after Disney Plus was established). And how do I know? The costs of restoring these TV shows and cartoons for streaming are the same as they were for DVD releases (some maybe even higher than that), and there may not be enough subscribers on HBO Max to make back the costs associated with these restorations. This would mean we'd have to find another solution to the problem of continuing to bring classic TV shows and Saturday morning cartoons to the masses.

~Ben

Last edited:

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I still have not pulled the trigger on The FBI and I was really curious to check it out. Though I’d seen some episodes as a kid, i have no recollection of episodes. It is expensive!

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I am sure that, if the current situation becomes even more dire, they may even abandon any thought of classic TV on streaming. That is, whatever shows up on HBO Max in the future may be all-new original programming, same as what Netflix did in its later years (especially after that service's licensing deal with Disney ended after Disney Plus was established). And how do I know? The costs of restoring these TV shows and cartoons for streaming are the same as they were for DVD releases (some maybe even higher than that), and there may not be enough subscribers on HBO Max to make back the costs associated with these restorations. This would mean we'd have to find another solution to the problem of continuing to bring classic TV shows and Saturday morning cartoons to the masses.

~Ben

So basically, Warner Bros. thinks the costs are too prohibitive to stream anything but the newest and most current shows? That's how I'm reading this here.

GMBurns

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn
I still have not pulled the trigger on The FBI and I was really curious to check it out. Though I’d seen some episodes as a kid, i have no recollection of episodes. It is expensive!

Nelson, check out importcds.com when you get a chance. I've always had good luck with them and Archive titles. Unlike Amazon their prices tend to be stable. I just took a quick look and it appears they have most seasons of The F.B.I. as on demand orders.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
If my Excel basic skills are still workable, calculating the series total for THE FBI at importcds.com comes to

S1P1
21.55​
S1P2
31.79​
S2P1
26.21​
S2P2
27.78​
S3P1
23.79​
S3P2
20.39​
S4All
33.24​
S5All
33.70​
S6All
29.96​
S7All
35.80​
S8All
35.80​
S9All
33.70​
Total series
353.71​

Doesn't that seem like REALLY ridiculously high? For DVDs?

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
If my Excel basic skills are still workable, calculating the series total for THE FBI at importcds.com comes to

S1P1
21.55​
S1P2
31.79​
S2P1
26.21​
S2P2
27.78​
S3P1
23.79​
S3P2
20.39​
S4All
33.24​
S5All
33.70​
S6All
29.96​
S7All
35.80​
S8All
35.80​
S9All
33.70​
Total series
353.71​

Yiiiikes! Yes, agreed. Oy vey.

The 1960's

Premium
Real Name
Neal Rose

S1P1
21.55​
S1P2
31.79​
S2P1
26.21​
S2P2
27.78​
S3P1
23.79​
S3P2
20.39​
S4All
33.24​
S5All
33.70​
S6All
29.96​
S7All
35.80​
S8All
35.80​
S9All
33.70​
Total series
353.71​

Yiiiikes! Yes, agreed. Oy vey.
Nice business model. Price stuff not to sell then claim that the audience for classic tv has dried up. And Warner is not the only one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Herman_tj
Recent bookmarks