question about wall mounting speakers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff_Garcia, Oct 17, 2002.

1. Jeff_Garcia

Jeff_Garcia Agent

i bought cheapie radio shack wall mounts because i can't afford omnimount brackets. The problem is that the speaker port in the back is completely blocked off. no air can come out of it. 1. is that gonna blow my speakers on loud volumes? 2. how much sound imaging will i lose?

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Jeff,

What does the port situation have to do with the Radio Shack wall mounting brackets?

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. Will Orth

Will Orth Stunt Coordinator

Well if the port is in the back and has air intake it should not be a problem, best idea is to move the port to the front, but if you cant do so and you have air in your wall no insulation close by it should work fine,

Will

4. Jeff_Garcia

Jeff_Garcia Agent

hey sorry to confuse you guys. what i meant was that there is a hole in the back of all my speakers. air comes out of there, it is similar to the subwoofer. from what i read its a called bass reflex port. the radioshack brackets i bought were just clip ons between the speaker and the wall. So when i mounted the speakers, it is completely against the wall. there's no space for air to move.

5. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

those ports are "tuned" for that specific cabinet and directly affect the way the speaker is supposed to sound.

blocking it (i would think) is a no-no. most speakers sound better away from the wall anyway.

obviously, since you're trying to wall-mount these things, then you have no choice. if possible, try to compare the way they sound free-standing vs. against the wall.

if you don't hear the difference then you're golden.

6. Justin Ward

Justin Ward Supporting Actor

I think if you plug the ports you will simply lose some end range extension which shouldn't be a problem. I have a similar situations with my Titans and I found that the boominess was noticeable but once the speakers were set as small the boominess was not noticeable.

7. Jeff_Garcia

Jeff_Garcia Agent

hey justin i think ur right cause when the bass reflex port is blocked, my mains does sound a bit boomy. my fronts have a dual 5 1/4" woofers and 1" tweeter. and my receiver does not support "large" and "small". instead it has the crossover adjustment of 80, 100, and 120. should i go for the 120 one?

8. Justin Ward

Justin Ward Supporting Actor

120 sounds good. You will have to try all of the settings to see which you like best. You will want a setting that minimuzes boominess but does not make it obvious when the subwoofer picks up the bass.

9. Bill Lucas

Bill Lucas Supporting Actor

Actually, blocking the rear port in this instance is a good thing. You should probably get some foam and use that as a plug. A rear ported speaker is NOT made to be used in close proximity with a boundary. It leads to boomy, tubby bass. Regards.