What's new

Question about Video Switching (1 Viewer)

Sean Mullin

Agent
Ok here goes..

I'm pretty new to HT and new to this forum as well.

I have a Toshiba 50" projection TV (about three years old) am waiting for the HDTV to come down a bit more before I purchase a new one and move the Tosh to the kids play room

What I want to know is....

The Comp Vid switching of most receivers is something I am in qqustion about.. I've an S-VHS and a Toshiba DVD w/COMPVid output.

when I hook up comp vid from DVD and S-Vid from the VHS will I also have to hook S-vid cable from receiver along with Comp vid cable and just switch source on my TV? or will the receiver "synthesize" S-vid to component for the VHS? Also am gonna add Sat TV soon. So When I pick out my receiver, are there receivers with 4 or 5 comp vid inputs that are priced under 800 bucks?

thanks for bearing with me here.

Sean Mullin

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Hi Sean. Welcome to HTF! :)
I'm afraid the answer is: most receivers will NOT convert one video connection to another.
Here is what I suggest:
- Run SVideo from everything through the receiver, then 1 Svideo to the TV. This makes the system simple/easy to use.
- Run component cables from the DVD player straight to the TV. If you want, you can then switch to this feed for the slightly higher quality picture when watching DVD's.
Another thing: there was a report a year or so ago that said while some receivers offer Component video switching, the receivers did not have enough bandwidth to handle true HD signals.
The more recent receivers now say somthing like "HD switching" or "HD Compatible" to indicate that they have been re-designed for the higher frequency needed for HD. Look for this as you may want it when you get your HDTV.
The November 2002 issue of Sound & Vision has a receiver buying guide with a large grid of features and prices. A quick scan of under $800 receivers that are "HDTV compatible" are:
HK AVR325
Integra DTR 5.3
JVC RX-901VBK
JVC RX-8020VBK
Onkyo TX-SR700
Onkyo TX-SR600
Pioneer Elite VSX-41TX
Pioneer Elite VSX-D811S
Sherwood Newcastle R-756
Sony STR-DA1ES
Yamaha RX-V1300
Yamaha RX-V1200
Yamaha RX-V730
Yamaha RX-V630
Run out a get a copy as there are other features in each of these and prices run from $500-$800.
Good Luck and let us know what you decide.

Sean Mullin

Agent
Thank you Bob!

You answered my question perfectly and gave me a great way to do the connection I hadn't thought of, even though in reflection the solution you gave seems so simple DOH!

as for my receiver choice... your list included the receiver I was lookin at so I'll probably go with the Onkyo
tx-sr700

thanks again!

Sean Mullin

Agent
Oh one last question..

when I look at a comparison chart on one of the retailer websites it says the Onkyo tx-sr700 doesn't have "A+B Speaker Switching".

I have a set of Klipsch floor Speakers I love for listening to audio, and a Bose AM10 for home theater use... will I have problems running and switching between the two sets?

thanks again

JimC_A

Stunt Coordinator
You won't be able to do the switch between the "A" home theater setup and the "B" audio setup.

JimC_A

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, the 5590 is HDTV compatible. The 5590 is almost the exact same receiver as the 1300. Go to the Crutchfield sight and compare the 5590 with whatever else interests you. The component bandwidth is listed with all comparisons. I bet this helps you make up your mind.

Brian Ruth

Supporting Actor
It almost has, Jim......

I compared the Denon 1803 and 2802 with the Yamaha 5590 and the Kenwood 6070.

I looked at the 1802 in-store a couple of days ago.

What has been changed with the 1803?

Barring an OUTSTANDING sound difference between the Denons and the Yamaha, I think I'll stick with the Yamaha.

The salesman told me that Denon was a "better brand" than Yamaha and the 1802 had "all the inputs I'd need." I don't think that to be the case -- I will need 3 Digital inputs (PS2, DVD Player, and HDTV eventually), with the possibliity of a 4th should I hook my computer up to it.

How does 27 MHz video switching compare with 60 MHz?

JimC_A

Stunt Coordinator
I have a Yamaha. I'm not gonna try and sell you on it. I have a friend that posts here and Jason loves his Denon. I got my Yamaha because it had all the features I wanted, including higher component bandwidth. Some on the forum will say that the 27/60 difference won't be noticeable by normal audiophiles. I chose to believe that 60 was better. Keep in mind, there are only 2 component inputs and 1 componenet output on the Yamaha. I believe this is true on most receivers that have any component inputs/outputs.

Brian Ruth

Supporting Actor
I think you're right, Jim. I wish there were more (I got my 27" HDTV a few months ago when there was only ONE component input on it), but I think you have to go into flagship territory to get any more than 2 component inputs.

How does the quality of a component 480i connection compare to S-Video? If there isn't a tremendous difference, I'll probably just leave most of the connections as composite/S-Video and not mind too much.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
How does the quality of a component 480i connection compare to S-Video?
Home Theater Magazine came up with these numbers:
Composite: baseline
SVideo: 20% better than Composite
Component: 25% better than Composite
This was for a reference 50" RPTV. They noted the differences were smaller for smaller sided displays, larger for bigger displays.
But (and this is a big one) - this was for an ordinay analog/non-HDTV display. Most HDTV's do a LOT of processing on the video signal. They convert it to digital, de-interlace, test/perform 3:2 pull-down, line-double, etc.
Because of all this processing, I suspect a small change in the input video quality can have a visible difference in the reduction of artifacts and picture quality.
If you have a HDTV, even a smaller-sized display, use component cables for any source that offers them. You are kind of crippling the electronics without it.
If you need advice on what good cables to get for minimum $$, check the "Tweeks, Connections, .." fourm for lots of discussion and links.

Brian Ruth

Supporting Actor
Bob: I'll definitely use both component inputs, but I think that pretty soon the 2 on there won't be enough. I was just curious if there was a big performance difference because SOMETHING will have to be relegated to S-Video.

Its also nice to know those numbers, because working at an electronics store, a lot of customers ask whether you REALLY get a better signal with S-Video/Component.

As for the cables -- I get a nice discount at said electronics store, so I'll probably pick up Monster Cables there.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks