What's new

Question about video motion (1 Viewer)

Chris Huber

Second Unit
I've noticed that on my RPTV and sony 975 DVD player that on certain camera pans, the motion is like "framed" or jumpy. It's like it's a limitation to the 30fps thing or something... I've also noticed it at the movies and other HTs as well.

What does this have to do with?

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor
Do you see this on film-based titles, or titles shot in digital? Give us some examples.

It sounds like the common effect one sees on digital-based titles. I think it's because the sample rate of digital can't handle fast pans, and thus it appears as a stuttering effect in the pan.

Digital movies also often have a harsh, high-contrast appearance.

Doug

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
For films, it's more of it being filmed at 24 fps that causes fast camera motion to look herky-jerky. TV cameras filming at 30 fps looks a little smoother for the same fast camera motion.

Chris Huber

Second Unit
Yes, the shutter is the best way to decribe it? Does anyone else see what I am talking about in thier setups or others?

Well, I have noticed it in both Star Wars I and II DVDs. I can't really think of it off hand. I am sure it happened in Minority Report too. I just watched it the other day.

So it's a source problem, meaning? -TV or DVD player? Or do you mean the actual DVD software?

John S

Senior HTF Member
has to be the DVD player... I sure don't see anything like this on my DVD performance.

Sometimes, like WB HD will have it though, drives me crazy!!

Dick Boneske

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, this is noticeable with many HDTV programs--over the air and satellite. It was especially noticeable on the HD coverage of the winter Olympics last year. During segements with motion such as acrobatics, pixels were noticeable. Also, when there is a scene of a flock of birds or school of fish, as there is complex motion, pixels are almost always visible.

This is annoying, and likely a limitation of the HD system now in universal use in this country. You must have noticed, however, that in a theater, there is always jerky motion due to the 24 fps or whatever frame rate they use. This is more annoying to me than the HDTV problems. For some reason, movies shown on HD broadcast or DVD's don't exhibit this jerkiness as much as the theater screen.

What do you think?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks