Question about Video Essentials and Avia

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Jean-PierreP, Jul 9, 2004.

1. Jean-PierreP

Jean-PierreP Auditioning

Wich of the two is the best? I was told that Video Essentials was a bit outdated, but I know I need at least one the two.

I will also take the chance to say that, having checked these boards quite a lot over the last few days, I am impressed by the quality and quantity of the information provided by this community. I am slowly reading the primer, increasing what little knowledge I had about HT.

I posses a small HT, that came in-a-box (to get used to HT before buying something custom-made), and will surely ask you guys for advice once I get the chance to upgrade it.

Thanks in advance for your answers.

2. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

I wrote up a comparison that is featured in our FAQ AND PRIMER, this might help you decide.

3. Jean-PierreP

Jean-PierreP Auditioning

Thanks a lot for the quick reply! I guess Ill soon be in that section, since Im slowly reading it all.

Thanks to you and all the others who wrote all these articles too. Impressive source of information.

4. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

They are both excellent discs, and while I find Avia more user-friendly, and also less complicated (IMO), either should suffice. However, each has features that the other does not, which is why I own and need both. For most users I would probably recommend Avia for it's more straightforward nature. DVE is odd in that it has some very thorough explanations of some things, but almost glosses over the basics, and then begins to go in-depth into some things, but then stops and tells you to leave it to the pros, which just seems to add some confusion. either way, the test patterns on each are excellent, and necessary.

5. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

There is a 3rd choice, especially for economy and for folks starting-out -- this sounds like you, Jean-Pierre - it is the

Sound & Vision Home Theater Tune-up disc

It's about 3 years old and mostly adapted from AVIA, just not so extensive on the video side of things.

S&V offers Dolby and Dts as well as 6.1 channel audio calibration. It costs [bUS$16[/b]. I generally suggest mailorder from amazon.com. At the website, type the words sound and vision in the blank box at upper left.

6. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Also discussed in the primer post.

-V