What's new

question about vhs and the PAL system? (1 Viewer)

Alex_SZ

Auditioning
I recently went to Spain on a trip and I made a video using my Sony mini dv camcorder.

I want to send a copy of the tape to some of my spanish friends, but I am a little baffled as to whethere a standard vhs tape from the United States would work in a PAL vhs player in Spain. I have heard many differnt answers, some say yes it will work while others say no.

I would like some input here, and if you don't think it will work on a PAL vhs player, is there a way to somehow covert my ntsc video to a pal video?

Thanks for you help.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
It should be OK. First your friends must have a TV that displays NTSC. I don’t know about Spain, but most PAL TVs will also display NTSC signals (as opposed to almost no NTSC TVs being able to display PAL).

Next he must have a VHS that will output an NTSC picture OK. There are plenty of these around and your friend can likely find one—at least as a loaner.

So the technical answer is, ‘it depends’. But the answer in practice is that he should be OK with a little luck and/or effort.

It is possible to convert NTSC to PAL, but I don’t know if it is very common in the States.

DustinLC

Supporting Actor
It is possible to convert NTSC to PAL, but I don’t know if it is very common in the States.
That'll be your best bet unless you want to buy one of those $500 vcr that will convert it for you.

It'll probably cost around $30 to convert a tape. It's expensive I know.

Just look up VCR repair places or copying/faxing stores and they usually have that service. It's very common and you should have no problem finding one.

Craig_Kg

Supporting Actor
VCRs and TVs that accept NTSC tapes and signals are almost universal down here and I would think it's the same in Europe.

Koit

Auditioning
At least here in Sweden VCR's and TV's that can play NTSC tapes are very common.

If your friends in Spain has a decent VCR it most likely can play the NTSC tape.

Let them try the tape and see what happens.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks