What's new

Question about using Mattes (1 Viewer)

HankM

Second Unit
I use mattes on my Mits 46805. My question is what do you guys do when you matte off a movie only to find that during some scenes there are sub-titles that appear half on the picture and half off (Columbia comes to mind). I have had this happen to me and it pisses me off. Should I just matte the top or not matte at all when it comes to certain DVD's?

JamesY

Stunt Coordinator
:angry: This is a big deal and upsets alot of people here at the forum (including me of course). I use a 4x3 front projector, so mattes are essential for blocking out light from the generated black bars. I have no choice but to not use the bottom matte.
Columbia is the worse, especially on foreign films like Crouching Tiger when subs are absolutely necessary (even for Chinese speaking people too because of the bad mandarin in the film). Fox is probably the best studio, I believe all of their subs are framed correctly.
Do a search on subtitles in the Software forum and you should get a bunch of results - their was even a petition up at one time against the studios, but I can't seem to find it. Anyways, here's a link to an old thread:
Pet Peeve: Subtitles "inside" the letterbox...
I just don't use the bottom matte for my setup, but if the uneven mattes bother you, I guess you can take both off. In the end, I don't think their really is a solution to this problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks