What's new

Question about used Sony KP-61V80 and alternatives (1 Viewer)

Karim Nouri

Auditioning
Hey Folks
I've got a little conundrum and I hope that the late night viewers out there can assist!
A neighbor in my condo complex is moving out of the country and he's selling his year+ old Sony KP-61V80 set in auction fashion. I got a chance to sample the machine and am generally pleased with the picture even though the convergance is a bit off. I know that it will only get better.
The question is this, how much should I pay for something like this? Right now it looks like the price will range from $1100 up to who knows. I'm thinking that the most I should pay would be around $16-1700. Beyond that I figure that I would be better off buying a newer set in the $17-1800 range.
Next part of the question is, should this deal fall through, what 53-61" RPTV would you suggest for the $17-1800 dollar range? HD ready would be a huge bonus too :)
Thanks all
Karim

Richard Burzynski

Second Unit
Karim:
The V series is Sony's top analog rptv, that's good. It is my 2nd favorite analog RPTV (Mits Gold being #1). The V80 your neighbor is selling, although only a year old, is 2 generations behind. Last yr's model was the V85 and the V90's are already in the stores for a couple months now.
Rule of thumb (for most part) for used electronics is start at half and work from there. A new 61" V90 can be had for ~$1800 from an authorized dealer. This, plus the fact that convergence is off, makes your neighbor's set barely worth $1000 in my eyes. I would offer maybe $750. Misconvergence is very annoying and if you have to pay someone (like an isf guy) to do some heavy tweaking, you are talking several hundred potential $ to be spent on top of the price of the set.
Good luck.
Rich B.

Eliab

Agent
This is my first posting on this forum and I just wanted to thank everyone for sharing their probing questions and insightful home theater experiences in efforts to take us all one step closer to home theater bliss! I definitely plan on making The Home Theater Forum a frequent destination of my daily web surfing. And, in doing so, I hope to expand my knowledge of this fascinating hobby of ours and perhaps share some of my knowledge with others as well. Thanks again to all for making this one of the friendliest, informative and all around cool places on the net!
patriot.gif

Karim,
You just might be able to pick-up the Toshiba 50H81 for under $2,000.00. I’ve calibrated a number of these RPTVs to very satisfactory results and feel that they’re extraordinary sets for the money. I’m actually considering one myself. Good luck!
Eliab
------------------
Avical
ISF Certified Calibrations
Sencore Equipped

Richard Burzynski

Second Unit
Eliab:
I just moved to Morris County after living in Elizabeth for 4 yrs. I had an RPTV - and you were there the whole time?
Ahhh!
I wound up getting L. Carliner and paying his way. I was happy w/ his services, but you were a lot closer. I now have a new set in my new place - we need to talk.
Rich B.

Eliab

Agent
Rich,
That’s funny! You can’t go wrong with Louis Carliner though. He's one of the GREAT ISF techs. I’m sure that he did a great job for you. Give me a call (908)531-7028 or send me an e-mail at you’re earliest convenience. Thanks!
Eliab
------------------
Avical
ISF Certified Calibrations
www.Avical.com [email protected]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks