Question about upgrading.. need some advice . . .

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jim Carr, Jul 14, 2002.

1. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Stunt Coordinator

I currently have an Onkyo 898, but I have the oppurtunity to upgrade to a Denon 5800 for only 400 bucks (selling mine to a buddy, getting this of Audiogon). The 5800 is 4 months old, full warranty.

This is a no brainer decision right? 5800 series being the flagship and all? I'll probably upgrade the 5800 and use that for the next few years until my HT is built, then use the 5800 in addition to seperates. Well that is my long term plan.. anyway, upgrading to the 5800 is a no brainer right?

I've had an Onkyo for the last 5 years, but heard nothing but good things about the Denon line as well.

I use NHT speakers if that matters. Super ones all around, VS1 center.

thanks guys!

Jim

2. Jim Carr

bump
    someone just tell me I done good! [​IMG]

3. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

You done good. [​IMG] This is the great thing about flagship receivers. Their usefulness and longevity extends beyond the latest and greatest processing...you also get a great, quality amp for the future. [​IMG]

4. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

If it was me, it would be a no brainer. Not that the Onkyo's bad or anything near that, but you're moving up to royalty class as far as receivers are concerned.

5. Jim Carr

Well that is great news! I figured it was a no brainer like I said, but it's always nice to have re-assurance [​IMG]
    What are good speakers to upgrade to with the Denon? (the wife is going to kill me!) I currently have a NHT SC1 center and super zeroes all around (7.1)
    A good, cheap(er) sonic match for the Denon? Any suggestions?
    thanks, as always!
    Jim