Question about upgrading my Onkyo HTS-650 HTiB system.....with some Athena AS-F2s!!

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by kurt_fire, Aug 26, 2004.

1. kurt_fire

kurt_fire Stunt Coordinator

Okay, I have the Onkyo HTS-650 5.1 system. It includes the Onkyo R500 receiver, a 150 watt 8" sub, and 5 speakers.

Here's my question, would buying a pair of Athena AS-F2s and put them as my front L and R speakers, and move my current Onkyo front L and R speakers to the rear. I would, of course, remove the smaller surround speakers and disregard them. I would leave my front center speaker the way it is.

Would doing this make my sound significantly better? Or would it decrease my sound because each speaker would be different (not acoustically matched?)?

The reason I ask is because my local Bestbuy has the AS-F2s on sale for $360/pair and I am considering getting them.

Also, would my Onkyo R500 receiver be powerfull enough to really push these speakers? I'm not very familiar with power ratings and amps, and such...

you absolutely think that the Athena AS-F2s are the best fronts I could buy for $360? Also, if you were to recommend a solid center speaker, which would you recommend and how much does it cost?

2. Chuck_W

Chuck_W Second Unit

I agree that you would probably want to upgrade your center channel as well. I also upgraded from an Onkyo set to Athena's and the difference in sound could be quite noticeable with mixed fronts.

For $350 you could get a set of the Athena AS-B2 bookshelf speakers($200) for mains and an AS-C1 center($150). You could get the F2's later and then move the B2's to surround duty.

This is only a suggestion. If you have your heart set on floorstanding speakers, I think the F2's are a great deal for $360/pair - I own them myself. I use an AS-B2 as a center speaker in my system. I'm impressed with the AS-B2, and if I had it to do over again I would even consider buying three pairs of them for a matched 6.1 system.

3. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
    I have the same Onkyo system you have Kurt and recently upgraded to Polk RTi's all around. The better the speakers, the more important it is that they are all the same. "Timber" matching is what they call it (I think). I also have the Athena Point 5 speakers set and they seem to have the same tweeters as the AS-F2's. Athena's are also a little more efficient than the Onkyo's and will sound louder as a result. Plus, they have better tweeters. Don't get me wrong. Onkyo speaker are pretty good for what they are, but you will notice a drop off in performance between the AS-B2's and the Onkyo center, which is the weak link IMO. The 500 has no problems with either the Athena Point 5's or the Polks. It's pretty powerful for an in-expensive avr.

4. kurt_fire

How much does an AS-C1 typically cost?? I'd be willing to purchase that to go along with the AS-F2s in a couple of months or so when I get some extra cash.

But here's my real question, would my 2 current Onkyo front L and R speakers be good as rear surrounds?

Also, if I bought these Athenas, since they are large, what freq response should I set my subwoofer too?

5. Chuck_W

Chuck_W Second Unit

The AS-C1 is $149.99 at Best Buy. I think this is their new regular price on this speaker.

6. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
    Set the sub to "Mode 1" or "Mode 2" and the crossover at 80HZ, the lowest allowable. That's what I would do anyway.

7. kurt_fire

Do they make an AS-C2?

and honestly people, is $360/pair for the AS-F2s a good deal or what?

8. Chuck_W

Chuck_W Second Unit

Unfortunately...no. I asked Athena about this and they said they had no plans for a larger center channel at this time.

9. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
    This is why I chose to go with Polk over Athena. Polk offered a CSi3 and the larger CSi5. I bought the 5. At $360 a pair for the AS-F2, I think it's a good deal. As I recall, when they first came out they were around $600 a pair. Simular offerings from Polk, Infinity, JBL, etc. would be $150-400 more. And Klipsh, a little more than that. As an example, Crutchfield.com has the Infinity Alpha 40's on sale for $499 a pair and the Alpha 50's for $599.

10. lnguyen

lnguyen Auditioning

$360.00/pair of AS-F2 is the killer deal. It pissed me off so much because I got it for $600.00/pair.

11. GraysonAng

GraysonAng Stunt Coordinator

If you don't care about cosmetic damage, audioadvisor is selling a PAIR of AS-F2 for $229.99 shipped.

Link

I just got in on it today.

I have the Athena Point 5 MKII system and am upgrading the two front speakers (s.5) with the AS-F2. Will my center channel be able to keep up?