What's new

Question about upgradability? (1 Viewer)

Dreldan

Auditioning
Real Name
Ian Torres
If i were to buy this Onkyo S6100 system
Onkyo HT-S6100 - 7.1-Channel Home Theater Package with iPod® Dock | Model Information | Onkyo USA Home Theater Products

I was wondering how well i would be able to upgrade the speakers/sub later on? Would the receiver in this package be able to handle what ever i throw at it? Would i have to buy an amp later on if i upgraded to a SVS sub? I'm very new to all this and I'm trying to figure out the best way to get my foot in the door of the HT business without screwing myself over early on and spending a lot of unneccesary money. If i were to try my hand at a DIY sub later on would i have to buy an amp as well as the driver (and materials to build enclosure)?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yes. Enclosure, amp and driver are the three main parts of a DIY sub. There are dozens of plate amps available. Even some available from the same factory that SVS gets their amps from. There are about a dozen driver manufacturers that make quality subs that work well in home theaters. There are an infinite number of possibilities when designing a sub. You are only limited by your budget and the amount of space you are willing to sacrifice for the enclosure.

-Robert

Dreldan

Auditioning
Real Name
Ian Torres
wow, thanks again robert you've been a great help.

I'm not able to dig up old posts it looks like am i just blind or do posts disappear once they get pushed off the front page? In my original thread when i asked about getting the above system someone said the receiver with that system will go great with my current set up, 1080p LCD with a PS3 as my blu-ray player. I was comparing systems etc and i've come across this HDMI passthrough and repeater term and i can't really figure out what they both mean and i'm not sure which is better?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
That is better suited for the Receiver and amp section but I'll try it. HDMI passthrough is just that, it passes the signal through. More advanced receivers can decode the HD audio from the HDMI connection. My receiver doesn't even have an HDMI input. I just run my audio directly to the receiver via optical and coaxial digital connections. I also have a 7.1 analog input waiting for my Blu Ray when I get it.

-Robert

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
That receiver is not a pass-through (meaning it only passes video through to the tv without any processing of audio) and it handles HDMI audio just fine, including the HD audio formats in Blu-Ray disks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samtbax
Recent bookmarks