1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

Question about TV Antennas and Reception

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Yoshi Sugawara, Dec 25, 2003.

1. Yoshi Sugawara

Yoshi Sugawara Stunt Coordinator

My fiance called me all the way from Japan (visiting her parents) and asked me to post a question in the HTF [​IMG]

She wanted to ask about powered TV antennas and whether they help in her parents' situation or not. The thing is, her parents live in a mountainous area, and I'm not sure if an antenna (even powered ones) would help in getting any kind of TV transmission.

Do any of you live in a semi-remote area sourrounded by mountains - is cable/satellite the only option for watching TV?

2. MikeTz

MikeTz Stunt Coordinator

The problem with mountainous areas is that it may be impossible to locate the TV antenna at a point where there is "line-of-sight" to a TV transmitter. If this is the case, then an amplified (or powered) antenna would not help because there is no signal to amplify. If the TV signal is weak (you can see video on the TV but there is a lot of snow) then an amplified antenna might work.

Satellite systems work best in remote areas or places where line-of-sight to a terrestrial TV transmitter cannot be established. That's because the satellite signal is coming from above the earth and it's easier to establish line-of-sight to the receiveing antenna versus a TV transmitter that is land based.

MT