Question about TV and Stereo hookup with DVD

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Lee Scoggins, May 6, 2002.

1. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Friends,
    I am stumped by a simple HT setup I am working on with my friend. He has a Sony DVD player the 500NVP (I think) and we hooked it up to a 27 inch Sony Wega 26FS13(both brand new, out of the box).
    Here's the problem:
    we want to allow my friend to switch between audio coming from the DVD to the TV and from the DVD going to the Stereo. His stereo is a older pre-amp and amp (Carver) and Klipsch speakers, sounds fairly good for its age.
    We connected the TV audio outputs to DVD player Line 1 (L/R) and the stereo audio interconnects to DVD player Line 2 (L/R). We can't for the life of us figure out how to switch between the two audio lines. The owner's manual (on the DVD, but TV is no help either) is heavily geared to a receiver set-up and seems to not provide an answer.
    Any solution? Any ideas?
    Otherwise the video performance is amazing. He is very happy but we would like to be able to choose TV sound or stereo sound.
    Thanks for your help...[​IMG]
    Lee

2. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

3. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    David,

My mistake. I did connect them to the TV input. This is not the problem, however. The TV has sound from the DVD player and it plays just fine. I just can't get the Line 2 option to send the audio signal to the stereo system.

Any ideas?

Lee

4. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

If the Sony won't output two audio lines out at the same time, you could always run into the TV and then TV audio out to the stereo.

DJ

5. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    David,

That's an idea, but is not possible to switch to Line 2 somehow?

Lee

6. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Lee, your post is a little vague:

7. Ken Seeber

Ken Seeber Supporting Actor

Most of Sony's DVD players have two sets of analog outputs, both of which are active all the time. There's no need for switching at all.

I have to agree with Wayne, your post is worded very confusingly. Can you take a deep breath and clarify for us?

8. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Ken,

I clarified the post to show I was talking about DVD player Line 1 and Line 2.

I went to my trusty dealer yesterday and it appears that Line 2 audio outputs are in fact dead on this model Sony (and several others in the shop) so I thing the answer is to send the audio from a TV audio out to the stereo.

I think Sony has installed dummy terminals on this unit for some reason. We can tell this from volt meter readings on the unit.

Lee

9. Charlie Miller

Hi Lee,
    I don't know if this will help. I have an older sony tv, hooked up as you have just proposed. DVD player audio to the tv and audio out of the tv to the receiver. With this setup the DVD player will normally play audio through the tv. In order to have audio sent to the receiver the sound must be disabled in the tv setup menu. On my tv (older 32" sony) I have to push the menu button to access the menu choices. Choose audio - choose spewaker switch (which at this point says ON) and change it to OFF. The tv sound will be off and the DVD audio will be routed through the tv out to the receiver. It could be a little tedious, but it works. I hope this is helpful. [​IMG]

10. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Charlie,

We have not tried that. I'll give it a go.

Thanks,

Lee

11. Ken Seeber

Lee, if the output jacks are dead, there is a problem with the player that Sony should repair for free if it's still under warranty. Sony does not intentionally install inactive outputs on its players.

12. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

13. Ken Seeber

If that's the case, Lee, then I would first read the owner's manual and make sure you don't have to turn the outputs on using the menu system somehow. Then I'd call Sony and ask, because I'm using both sets of my Sony player's analog audio output jacks.

14. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    As I noted before, Lee, you don’t need two sets of audio outs on the DVD player to accomplish your objective. You can easily split a single audio output with a pair of RCA “y” adapters.

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt