Question about turntables..............

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Corbin Stirn, Jul 15, 2001.

1. Corbin Stirn

Corbin Stirn Second Unit

I have never owned a seperate turntable in my life before...........but I picked up a Phillips at an auction for $2.50(what the heck at that price). It seems fairly heavy and rather nice.........says it's a 677 Direct control. It has something I've never seen before...a stylus force that looks a lot like a level that you use for construction. Does anyone know what this does? Is it good to have? Is this a nice unit? Does anyone have any good albums......I'm dying to become part of the audiophile clique that swears albums sound better than CDs( [​IMG]). Seriously though.......any info on this piece would be appreciated.............thanks

2. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I used to have a used record store near me in Ardmore, PA. My LP collection probably grew by 100+ records in the time I lived near there. It was great. See if there's any local used LP stores near you.
    Sorry I don't know anything about your turntable though.
    ------------------
    Philip Hamm
    AIM: PhilBiker

3. SimonT

SimonT Extra

Generally speaking, you usually get what you pay for in terms of quality....unless of course it fell off the back of a truck! [​IMG]
    ------------------
    MY HOME THEATER

4. Richard_T

Richard_T Second Unit

I have a Denon DP-2550 turntable, and I must say in certain types of music, an LP DOES sound better than a CD. Jazz and Classical music sound more "real" and less computerized on an album. Maybe it has something to do with the needle. I don't know. My tonearm has a couple of levers which are used to keep the arm balanced while it plays, maybe it's the same type of thing??
    ------------------
    Please visit my site at http://rickshometheater.homestead.com/HomePage.html

5. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

Corbin: WOW! $6 for a surround decoder and $2.50 for a turntable!!! My decoder reply is on that thread.
    I have kept several info books from the 80's and 90's on hifi related stuff. I couldn't find much on your turntable.
    The Phillips AF 677 was one of three models in 1980. The 677 was the least expensive of the three at $170 retail. Wow and flutter was spec'd at .05% at 33 and 1/3 rpm. Rumble was -65 dB. That's about it (other than the size etc.)
    I wouldn't put too much into a new cartridge/stylus until you know that it will perform as you hope. The arm should move freely without any excess play. The belt should be snug and pliable. When the belt is removed (and the power off) the platter should spin freely and take several seconds to stop. The signal and electrical connections should be free of corrosion. If all of these things seems ok, then it would be worth looking into getting a new cartridge/stylus.
    Good luck with your new toys!!
    ------------------

6. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Corbin- This would cost more than $2.50 (!), but might be worth it. Check out:
    www.theturntablefactory.com
    They might be able to give your new addition a once over and make sure it's operating up to specs.
    I just had them overhaul a Sony of mine, didn't cost that much, and he did very nice work.
    ------------------

7. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

What about a lowly Technics SLBD-22 Belt drive turntable? I still have it and can't think of a good reason to toss it. Apart from some scratched albums, I still think records are not too bad. It needs a serious cleaning and maintenance though.
    Do those old Shure V15-VMR cartridges exist anymore? Are they still the bargain of hi-fi needle cartridges?