What's new

Question about turning my amp on? (1 Viewer)

Brandon WB

Grip
Any comments on this would be greatly appreciated.

I have the B&K ref 200.3 for my front 3 speakers hooked up to a yamaha receiver as my processor. When I first go to turn on the amp, after all other components are switched on first (B&K recommends), I get a 1 second fairly loud hissing or static sound out of only the left front tower speaker. It then goes away and sounds fine thereafter. It's like all the power momentarily goes thru just that speaker with no other signal, and then disappears. I have checked all connections for that speaker and there's no short or fault there. My question is, is this normal or harmful? If so what do I do, or what do I look for?

Thanks,
Brandon

Dave Milne

Supporting Actor
Normal? No.

Harmful? If it's not super-loud, probably not. Take a look at the woofer cone(s) when it does this... if it moves in or out violently, this would be a problem.

In any event, this is peculiar behaviour and should probably be looked at. Even if it doesn't cause problems now, it could suddenly get much worse and take a speaker with it...

Brandon WB

Grip
The odd thing is, on Monday I called and talked to a B&K tech and he said that this static sound is ok as long as it stops. The sound does stop after a few seconds, I just hope it does not cause problems with my speakers. Also, I hope I did not get a faulty amp, being that it is only 2 months old. After music or any other signal begins to travel thru the speakers, everything sounds great, it is just that intitial hiss/static sound at mild volume that I hear out of the left front tower.

Any other thoughts, let me know?

Brandon

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
That is definitely strange behavior. I've had a bunch of amps over the past 15 years, and the most I ever got was a quiet "thump" through the speakers.

If you leave everything off, and then turn on only the amp by itself, do you still get the static/hissing sound? (In other words, try to see if it is the amp alone that is causing the problem.)

You could try another thread with "B&K" in the title to specifically see if other B&K users experience this too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks