Question about treble and bass???

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by RyanJE, Jan 14, 2005.

1. RyanJE

RyanJE Second Unit

I calibrated my speakers using DVE to 75 db, (87 sub). What should I do with the treble and bass. There at 0 now and if I change them wont it change the db levels? What do you guys do?? Also does anyone have any good links explaining reference level? Im not sure exactly what its purpose is.

2. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

3. RyanJE

RyanJE Second Unit

Thanks for the link. Can anyone actually listen to movies at this level? I think my ears would start to bleed.

4. Paul S

Paul S Stunt Coordinator

Adjust them to where your speakers sound best to you.

5. Nathan Stohler

Nathan Stohler Second Unit

It's more of a point of reference than anything else. Since everyone has different equipment, speakers, rooms, etc., reference level is the only thing we can all relate to in terms of volume.

If you tell us you're listening to a movie at 10 dB below reference, we know what you're talking about (assuming you've calibrated correctly). If you say you're watching a movie with your receiver set to 50, we have no point of reference.

You're right though, reference level is quite loud. -15 dB or so is usually plenty for me.

--Nathan

6. RyanJE

RyanJE Second Unit

Sorry my receiver doesn't adjust volume in dbs, is that what 50 means. I just thought my receiver was crappy and had arbitrary numbers instead of dbs. It seems like most good receivers show volume levels in dbs.

7. Robert_Dufresne

Robert_Dufresne Stunt Coordinator

Treble and bass.....I agree with Chriss, leave them alone and enjoy the music the way it was meant to be played.

8. Paul S

Paul S Stunt Coordinator

Tone controls were placed on your receiver for a reason. Each brand/type of speaker handles tone differently. There are also room acoustics to consider. If the flat position were always correct there would be no tone controls on your receiver, however, this is not the case. Rooms that are heavily carpeted/furnished benefit from a boost in treble those that are not benefit from less treble. A person's taste in bass also is a big factor. Many people prefer more bass, depending on what type of music they are listening to. As for being a purist for not using tone controls makes no sense at all. It all depends on your speakers and environment as to what will sound best with your receiver. That is not necessarily always the flat position on the tone controls. If it sounds better use it.

9. ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo Screenwriter

Ryan, there is no "correct" way to set the tone controls on your system. Calibration is basically to get your speakers all working together efficiently. The "tone" your system produces has a lot to do with your own personal taste. I personally like to hear crisp highs from my mains and deep lows from my subwoofer so I adjust my system to where it sounds best to me. In contrast, my wife abhorrs a lot of base so she will often use the controls on the sub itself to turn it way down, much to my chagrin. Incidently, I almost NEVER use ProLogic when listening to music and only use my systems multi-channel capabilities when listening to DVD-A or SACD.