question about toshiba widescreen TV

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Paul_Fisher, Dec 10, 2002.

1. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

Last night me and a friend tried watching a movie on his roommates widescreen Toshiba HDTV. We put in Goldmember, and it still had the bars across the top and bottom of the movie. We then put in Gladiotor and it did the same thing. I thought that with a widescreen TV a widescreen DVD would fill up the entire screen. What are we doing wrong? Is there some sort of setting on the TV we need to change, or on the DVD player? He has a Sony DVD player hooked up the TV via s-video cable.

Thanks,
    Paul

2. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter

There are different widescreen aspect ratios. A 1.85:1 widescreen movie will fill a 16:9 TV screen.

A wider, 2.35:1 movie will still have black bars on a widescreen set, but they won't be as large as they'd be on a 4:3 screen.

Some Cinemascope films were as wide as 2.66:1!

Jan

3. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

4. Jason Hennigan

Jason Hennigan Stunt Coordinator

Jason Hennigan
    What about grey bars on the sides?

The Toshiba manual says to view 16:9 material in "natural" mode, but when I do, it still has grey bars on the sides.

This is any anamorphic DVD via an RP-82 connected with S-video.

5. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

The TV should be in Full mode when viewing any widescreen anamaphoric dvd. Natural, TW1, TW2, etc. are stretch modes and are used for viewing non- 16x9 material and non-anamaphoric dvd.

6. James Bergeron

James Bergeron Supporting Actor

HOLD ON HERE!

Jason, you have a 16x9 set capable of HD and your using a Progressive scan player (RP-82) with S-video? Man go get some component cables! You are not even using the progressive feature you paid for. And wow what a difference it will make!

7. jeff_coil

jeff_coil Stunt Coordinator

Jason, I have the 57hdx82 and the manual is really misleading as I thought the samething and like you started a thread! And holy Bat Crap Robin not using component video! Like James said go get some cables NOW! Don't be shocked but you can shell out 50-140 depending on the length but it is needed!
    Have fun
    This is an addiction and an expensive one at that![​IMG]

8. Dominic Scolaro

This is highly debatable, but I paid 7 bucks each for my generic red green and blue colored 10' component cables and my picture looks outstanding. I wouldn't get silly on the brand name, especially if it's Monster.

9. Jason Hennigan

Jason Hennigan Stunt Coordinator

Jason Hennigan
    Don't get too jumpy guys. I know all about good cables.
    I've got some Monsters on the way, but they had been delayed. Being that they are 60% off retail price, I can live with S-Video for a week.
    [​IMG]
    On the topic of the manual, doesn't it say that Full mode is a stretch mode? I only ask because that's what I thought that it said, but when I was watching some DVDs earlier in the week, they seemed fine in Full mode.

10. James Bergeron

James Bergeron Supporting Actor

A week, a week! Ok your forgiven [​IMG] Although I would have just used one of those cheap ass audio/video cables you get with a vcr for the component it works just as well and would still blow away s-video!

11. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul