Question About Topaz (1969)

lark144

Premium
Real Name
mark gross
I've always preferred the Preview version since I first saw it at MOMA back in the 1980's, as it contains a lot of interesting scenes with "minor characters" such as Michel Piccoli & Philippe Noiret that really makes the film work for me and, as far as my memory serves, wasn't in the release version, which focuses resolutely (other than the sub-plot with Roscoe Lee Brown) on Frederick Stafford, about whom it might have been written, "Lack of charisma can be fatal." Still, it would have been nice to have had both versions.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
No, nothing to do with the endings - longer scenes, cut scenes, things he trimmed after the preview version - I believe the theatrical version was on laserdisc and perhaps VHS but not since then - since they discovered the preview version that's been it, which is just wrong. Of course the stupid iMdb has it wrong, which just confuses things. Theatrical release in 1969 was 125 minutes - Wikipedia has it almost right:
Running time127 minutes
(theatrical cut)
143 minutes
(Extended DVD cut)
As I recall, the cut that we no have was that on the masters, which would not be atypical.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ivywhitelee