question about TOMMY superbit

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Sean Patrick, Sep 11, 2003.

1. Sean Patrick

Sean Patrick Supporting Actor

first off, the box is wrong, right? it's not really 5.1 DD, but 5.0???

also, i have never seen this film before. There's not supposed to be ANY dialogue, right? i seem to remember some...this DD track sounds like an isolated score almost, with chracaters flapping their lips occasionally with no sound coming out. i didn't get a faulty disc, did i??

even THE WALL has some dialogue, and i seem to remember some in TOMMY.

thanks

2. Greg_M

Greg_M Screenwriter

"Tommy" had only a few instances where the name "Tommy" was spoken. All the rest was sung - always was. Never had a problem with the first DVD, don't know about the Superbits version.

3. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    what do you mean by dialogue?

people talking?

this is a musical, opera all the way. as greg said only the name tommy was spoken. alll the rest was sung.

the first dvd is 5.0 and 2.0.
    the first dvd preserves the origional "QUINTAPHONIC" sound track.
    from the dvd insert.....

"quintaphonic sound, or "sound in the round" features five discrete channels. three speakers were behind the screen- left, center, right- and two speakers, also of equal fidelity, were in the left rear and right rear of the theater...........
    those familiar with the music industry in the mid 70's will recognize that quintaphonic sound was an adaptation of the record industries quadraphonic stereo.
    the addition of the center channel, used for dialogue and primary sound effects, was designed to improve the theatrical quality of the soundtrack since most of the important action in a movie takes place in the center of the screen."

that last sentence no longer really aplies, but they did try to preserve the origional sound as closely as possible.

4. Sean Patrick

cool guys, thanks.

the only reason i really had a second thought about the "no dialogue" aspect of the film was because I saw there was no LFE track, and wanted to make sure I wasn't mistakenly hearing some sort of isolated audio track.

thanks.

5. Charlie O.

Charlie O. Supporting Actor

So is the superbit the 5.0 QUINTAPHONIC with a added subwoofer track?

6. Sean Patrick

after reading another review, the DTS 5.1 seems to be the same as the DD 5.0 track (both on the superbit dvd).