Question about this belt-drive turntable...

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by MarcoBiscotti, Apr 29, 2005.

1. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

Hey guys,

I just have a quick question regarding the following retro Crosley CR89 & CR84 Stack-O-Matic Turntables...

[​IMG]

+

[​IMG]

Since these are more "aesthetic pieces" so to speak, I assume they lend more to style than performance... I'm just wondering if these can be wired somehow to my amps and processor to play through my in-wall speakers and sub in conjunction with my HT setup?

Otherwise, is my only listening option via the built-in cabinet stereo speakers and how do you think they'd perform?

I don't have too many vinyl records anymore... a crate full of old 60's/70's soul singles and various indie/undergound excl. EP's & 12's that aren't available in any other format but that's really the extent. Everything else has been replaced by CD. I'm just thinking whether it's stupid to purchase this belt-drive table with such a high-end audio setup I'm running just cause it'd look so damn nice in my livingroom or if I should go with proper tables... what do you guys think?

Also, which of the above 2 models do you think looks nicer?

Thanks!

2. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

Anyone?

3. Jim Rakowiecki

Jim Rakowiecki Stunt Coordinator

I think if you wanted to use that as an accent piece in a retro styled rec room it would be great but I don't think there is an easy path to hooking it up to your existing equipment.
    I'm not sure about this unit in particular but I have heard the TEAC(?) retro unit and it sounds like an inexpensive shelf system. It is what it is, don't expect miracles.
    It would probably be ok for your soul singles. This is probably the kind of record player they had in mind when they made those records.
    Your house/underground stuff would sound pretty weak on this thing. I'd really go with something else if you can.
    You could check E-bay for a decent used TT in that price reange or there are plenty of units under $200.00
    You may want to check out The Needle Doctor. They have a great selection of turntables including the crosley that would fit almost any budget. http://www.needledoctor.com/
    I've purchased cartridges from them in the past they have always been great.

4. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

Thanks a lot Jim...

maybe I'll get this anyways for my bedroom and pick up something a little better suited for the livingroom to connect to my speaker system. It's a shame cause I think they look great...

would the built-in stereo speakers really sound that terrible even in a small bedroom? Could you sort of describe the sound quality I'd expect just to get an idea?

Thanks again!

5. Jim Rakowiecki

Jim Rakowiecki Stunt Coordinator

I'm not sure I can describe the sound. It would probably be on par with an inexpensive shelf system that you would find at any discount department store.
    You may want to E-mail crosley and see if there is a retailer
    in your area.
    http://www.crosleyradio.com/
    One thing to keep in mind is that vinyl records are a pretty fragile medium and need to be handled carefully and dropping a record 4 inches onto another spinning record will probably damage both of them. If these records are either cherished or can't be replaced then I would consider something else.

6. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

Thanks Jim, I didn't intend to drop more than one vinyl piece on the table at a time anyway. In truth, I'm not so much interested in this as a convenient/optimal playback means, I just really like the look and figured the price was good. I'd say in total I probably have about 50-60 records and am nearing 8 thousand CD's... it's obvious what gets the most play and with the money I recently invested in my new high-end 7.1 surround speaker setup, I thought a smaller more portable record player would be the way to go. Something simple, throw on a 12" and drop the needle... but at the same time I don't want it to sound like absolute shit. I don't need audiophile referance quality playback, but decent sound that would at least do justice to the music. I'm retty sure my mind's made up eitherway, I love the look and sort of have a retro modern 50's french new wave design thing going on in the living room but I just wanted to confirm that the playback wouldn't be unlistenable like $10 computer speakers... Anyways, thanks for all the help and suggestions, I'll see if there's a local dealer and try to give it a listen..

7. Dave Lindhorst

Dave Lindhorst Stunt Coordinator

Hey Marco, what a neat looking turntable. I think the quality of the sound will depend on what you use for a needle. It won't be audiophile quality as the table is very important. If it is not a good unit you may notice some wow and flutter and you may get motor noise. It probably doesn't track that good but why not have the store hook it up and see what it sounds like. As in any system the source machine is of the ultimate importance. The better a cartridge you buy the more apparent the flaws in the TT will become. Maybe it's not poor at all but you need to give it a listen.

A good used table may be the way to go. Some real bargains out there to be had.