Question about the Zenith DTV1080

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brad Bissell, Dec 26, 2001.

1. Brad Bissell

Brad Bissell Extra

Well, I'm coming down to selecting the Zenith DTV1080 STB. I do have a couple questions before I bite the bullet and spend $750.

1) Do you need to sign up with DirectTv? I'm only interested in OTA HDTV signals and possibly cable. No access to sky.

2) Does the Zenith allow you to change format (ie zoom, theaterwide) when using the 1080 upconversion? (I'm addicted to Angel and Enterprise and they are letterboxed)

3) Does the STB have descrete IR codes for use in my Pronto? I have a Toshiba 40h80 and the lack of discrete IR power codes drives me nuts.

4) Are there any new STBs coming out at CES in a few days? ie should I just wait until the next crop of STBs show up...

Thanks,

Brad

2. ErichH

ErichH Screenwriter

I was about to post the exact same thing . Seems AVS is the ony place with active DTV1080 discussions going on .

I have a friend in the Custom Install business that says Sony has a new box coming out , but then it may be months before you can get one . 750-800 is a ton to spend on something that only generates another monthly fee (for DTV at least) but you can use it for cable and OTA if you wish . I been having the same thoughts as many reguarding HDTV boxes - 800 for the box / 150 for a new dish / 50+ for a new OTA antena / another coax run (if I want OTA & DTV together) and after all that , limited programming that I pay for every month !!! Seems like a 1000.00 steak dinner to me . After the HUGE wide screen TV sales this month , I think we'll be seeing prices drop and features go up , but I think it will be summer brfore we see it happen .

I've heard that a good learning remote is the answer for the Zenith .

Eric

3. DavePompea

DavePompea Auditioning

If OTA is the only thing you want, check out the Samsung SIRT150 DTV Receiver, which you can get as cheap as $414 ($514 - $100 rebate) at http://store.yahoo.com/discounthomee...sirdtvrec.html in GA.
    or for $399 ($499 - $100 rebate) from , ewww, I forget, some electronics store in New York City. Maybe http://www.bhphotovideo.com/ , yeah, that's it, you'll have to do a search on the site for it.
    I'm thinking of getting one from the Yahoo Store as it's cheaper for me to pay a few extra bucks shipping than NY State sales tax.
    I'm not aware of any HDTV on Cable, as from what I've learned here, cable does not use 8VSB modulation. Some one correct me if I'm wrong.
    Dave

4. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

There's a long thread about the Zenith in the Mitsubishi forum over at Home Theater Spot. Apparently it's upconversion from 480i to 1080i is much better than the Mits' line doubling, and it can stretch and zoom when converting 480i to 1080i-apparently it's variable zoom is better than the Mits' also.
    You do not have to subscribe to DirecTV, but you won't be eligible for any of the incentive discounts, like free installation and such, unless you subscribe. Sales clones aren't used to selling a directv receiver that's anything but a doorstop without a direcTV subscription, so they usually qoute you a price that reflects the "subscription required" discounts. These discounts are subsidized by DirecTV, so if you accept them and don't subscribe, they'll try to get the discount back from ya. If you pay full retail this is not a problem and the $799 price you mentionned should be full retail.

5. Brad Bissell

Brad Bissell Extra

I do want the option to go with Satellite if need be down the road. Also, most importantly, I'm interested in a ATSC and NTSC tuner that upconverts to 1080i. Simplicity is the key. I don't want to fumble between inputs when changing channels.

The most important question that I'm looking for the answer to is... does the Zenith dtv1080 allow for change in aspect ratio when upconverting to 1080i. Thus can I zoom in on Enterprise and fill the screen with the 16:9 image? And can I stretch 4:3 material to fit the screen???? Basically I want to lop off the blackbars so I don't burn in my lovely 16:9 RPTV.

-Brad

6. Brad Bissell

Brad Bissell Extra

Thanks Steve... That is exactly the info I was looking for. Looks like all I have to do is find a friggin dtv1080 somewhere.

7. ErichH

ErichH Screenwriter

For 19 pages of discussion on the 1080 and a good education (maby) go here -
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...threadid=91558
    After reading all this , it seems as though HDTV on cable is available somewhere , but in very limited ares and with limited results - seems like sat is the way to go / and OTA .
    At first , some people were getting the units for under 500 (preorder) an then it seems the 750-799 price was back for any avaliable units . I'd guess that when the initial flood of buyers thins out , the price will go back down to something like 599 or so - new units announced at CES might help . As much as I want one , I just have this gut feeling these things will get cheap in 2002 .
    What to do ?????????
    Any of us who purchased a 16X9 set recently and already have DTV or Dish , were suddenly faced with poor quality from the sat feeds and the promise of great quality if we spend another 800-1000 on new recivers/dish .
    I knew this going in , but didn't realize how bad the sat feed would be until I was faced with natural wide or grey bars that look like lights shining in your face . Good thing I love my DVD collection . Maby a set of left/right mattes is a temp fix for my 4:3 mode .
    Great to see a little about the 1080 here !
    Eric

8. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

One thing to remember--These boxes have their own stretch/zoom modes when displaying stuff that's natively 480i and the box is upconverting to 1080i.
    This is essential because even sets that don't lock into full when receiving 480p from a progressive scan player Will lock into full when fed 1080i.
    Some HD channels still show a lot of stuff that's upconverted at the station from 480i and broadcast at HD scanrates, and some just put black bars on the sides. The box can't do anything as far as stretch or zoom with these pictures, only with stuff that arrives at the box as 480i.

9. Dave Miller

Dave Miller Supporting Actor

OK Steve, does that mean we can zoom in Enterprise or not? UPN is not broadcasting yet in HD, so whether we have cable, OTA, or SAT, Enterprise is going to come into the Zenith STB as 480i. When that gets upconverted to 1080i and sent out to Brad's Tosh or my Tosh, can we then zoom in with the Zenith STB to eliminate the letterboxing?
    Peace,
    DM
    PS - Brad, you took this post right out of my head. [​IMG]

10. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Dave,
    anything that arrives at the box as 480i, such as Enterprise or ER can be stretched or zoomed by the box, no worries there. What boxes will not do is stretch or zoom a 4/3 picture that arrives at the box as 720p or 1080i from a digital HD broadcast. This means that if the show being broadcast is being sent out in an HD scan rate, the aspect ratio is not changeable by the box.
    HBO HD and my one local digital channel do not broadcast everything in a 16/9 aspect ratio. Lot's of stuff is still upconverted 4/3 480i, with the upconversion happening at the broadcast source, so it arrives at the box as 720p or 1080i and the box can't zoom or stretch it. This appears as a 4/3 picture with black bars on the sides on my widescreen set.

11. Dave Miller

Dave Miller Supporting Actor

Thank you Steve. Very helpful.

Peace,

DM