What's new

Question about the WYATT EARP release? (1 Viewer)

David Coleman

Supporting Actor
First of all i'm overjoyed about the official announcement!! I've literally been waiting on this one since I got a DVD player back in '97. I'm also glad to see this one released as a 2 disc release! I was always concerned that it would be overcompressed with bonus materials on the disc with the movie.

Their are nice enough bonus features. However the press release is inconclusive as to wheter it's the theatrical or the expanded version being released?

Wyatt Earp -- Kevin Costner portrays one of the Wild West’s most acclaimed lawmen in this gritty biographical western; a complex portrait of the life, loves and adventures of the man who became a legend in a lawless land. Dennis Quaid also stars as Doc Holliday and Gene Hackman as Nicholas Earp; Lawrence Kasdan (The Big Chill, Grand Canyon) directed.

The Wyatt Earp DVD will include the feature film on Disc 1 and will contain the following bonus content on Disc 2:

It Happened that Way documentary (new)

Walk with a Legend documentary (vintage)

Eleven lifted scenes

I'm wondering which version?

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The official press release from Warners gives the running time as 190 minutes, well short of the 211 minutes IIRC that constituted the extended cut. I'm assuming that the extended cut material will be within the deleted scenes on disc 2.

---

So many films, so little time...

Justin Bauer

Supporting Actor
Words cannot describe how disappointed I am at this news.

...it is looking like I will just hang onto my Extended Cut Laserdisc box set.

Paul-Gunther

Stunt Coordinator
For my part, I prefer the original cut, so I'm pleased with this. I would only want the extended cut if it had the option, like The Abyss, of watching either version.

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Maybe this is by choice of director Lawrence Kasdan.

Also, IIRC Kasdan has consistently refused to do audio commentaries for his films, so the lack of such a track is no surprise.

David Coleman

Supporting Actor
Now Dvdfile reports this:

Next up is Lawrence Kasdan's Wyatt Earp, which will be presented in its full expanded edition, newly remastered in anamorphic widescreen and Dolby 5.1, plus the new "It Happened that Way" documentary, original "Walk with a Legend" featurette, more behind-the-scenes footage, eleven deleted scenes, and trailers

AndrewWickliffe

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew Wickliffe
This was a real disappointment.

Thankfully, I held onto my laserdisc (unlike Star Wars : Definitive, which I'd bought and sold twice before I realized Lucas was going to stick me).

As I recall, on the laserdisc insert, Kasdan says the extended version is for the people who love Wyatt Earp. Maybe Warners figured "Open Range" fans blind-buy Earp (it seems like an odd choice for a special edition--where's my "Postman," darn it?). And its features aren't very special, IMO . . .

Warner runs hot and cold on their 2-discs, but at least the price is right.

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
Its funny. Some of you go ballistic if a movie is not in its proper aspect ratio. Some of you throw a fit if a movie does not have its original audio track. So, this movie is being announced as its original theatrical cut and you're still upset?

Its no wonder the studios stopped listening to us, because people get bent out of shape no matter what they do.

I also saw the notice on DVDFile this morning saying its the "expanded edition" so perhaps it will be the longer one, I guess we'll have to wait until more information comes out.

Either way, I'll buy this movie and be happy about it regardless of which cut it is.

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
Its funny. Some of you go ballistic if a movie is not in its proper aspect ratio. Some of you throw a fit if a movie does not have its original audio track. So, this movie is being announced as its original theatrical cut and you're still upset?
Those all sound like fair requests to me.

Mike Williams

Screenwriter
I'm totally with you, Mike. I've actually heard people cry because Spielberg digitally erased the cobra's reflection in "Raiders of the Lost Ark." They claimed it wasn't the movie they saw in theaters, as if that reflection is what endeared the movie to their hearts in the first place. Get Real!

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I also saw the notice on DVDFile this morning saying its the "expanded edition" so perhaps it will be the longer one
I take everything at DVDFile with a grain of salt. Make that a rock of salt.

Personally I'd be delighted with the theatrical cut. The added scenes are interesting, but the pacing of the theatrical cut is better. And I'm not surprised at the lack of a commentary track, even if there were willing participants. Given the film's length and the nature of the material, they probably needed every spare bit to maintain image quality.

M.

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
My post wasnt intended to dispute the merit of OAR or the original audio track, I just think people need to pick their battles.

If you use the excuse that youre a film purist and only want it the way the director originally intended, then at least be consistent.

There is always something for people to complain about. In this thread, people were "outraged" that the extended edition was not included. To me, that is no different than being outraged that there was no 5.1 remix of a mono film, or a "reimagining" of an aspect ratio for a particular film.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
MikeEckman:

I guess we could paraphrase a famous Abraham Lincoln quote: "You can please some of the people all the time and please all the people some of the time; but you can't please all the people all the time."

I do agree with your comments.

John Goodwin

Stunt Coordinator
Who was outraged exactly?
I see a couple of people "dissapointed",that they arent getting the same extended version as they have become accustomed to watching on laser disc,which to me,is understandable.
I don't agree with you at all Mike,regarding the studios listening to what their customers have to say.
You state that youll buy this film and be happy.
Would you still buy the film if it was only available in 4:3,or knew in advance that the transfer was a complete mess,or the sound was faulty etc?
Noone that i can see was tearing into WB for leaving the extended version off,just expressing their dissapointment.
The fit-throwing seems to occur in threads that relate to George Lucas :)

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
No deleted scenes? I hope to God they've split the film at a decent spot.

EDIT - I've just cancelled my order until we can get things cleared up. Not only are we not getting the 212 minute LD cut, but the deleted scenes that were promised appear to have gone AWOL. And the reviewer intimates the film is spread over two discs, and if the split comes at an inappropriate spot - a la Once Upon a Time in America - then it may be no sale at all...

---

So many films, so little time...

Harold Wazzu

Supporting Actor
At the top he lists in the extras "Lifted Scenes", sames as deleted scenes I am assuming.

Also, DVD Profiler lists deleted scenes as extras.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks