1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

QUESTION about the up-coming DANCES WITH WOLVES special edition...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dick, Mar 12, 2002.

1. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    There has been speculation that the forth-coming re-issue of DANCES WITH WOLVES will contain the 238-minute cut. Has there been any confirmation about this?

2. Robert_eb

Robert_eb Supporting Actor

I heard that it will contain both cuts.

3. rutger_s

rutger_s Supporting Actor

It is slated to include the original U.S. director's cut of the film and the international cut of the film.

4. Michael Johnston

Michael Johnston Stunt Coordinator

What about dts? Any chance of it being on there?
    Thanks,
    Michael

5. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch
    I'm not sure, so don't quote me, but I think the longer version is not authorized by Costner. As far as I know the original theatrical version is his Dircetor's Cut, and the longer version is simply builled as an 'extended version.'

It's very similar to "Independence Day" in which I specifically read director Roland Emerich saying the original cut is his preferred version, and that the longer cut was put together by the studio.

And I have seen the longer cut of "Dances With Wolves" and think it's horrible. It looks like very trim has been put back into the film. Insignificant shots are restored that ruin the film's delicate pacing. For instance, after Dunbar does his death ride and is lying of the ground next to his horse, they've inserted some needless "Shoe leather" of the general turning his horse around, looking at him and then riding up to him. I find it unwatchable.

6. Simon Massey

Simon Massey Cinematographer

Simon Massey
    The Directors Cut was released with Costners approval. In the UK when the video was released some time ago, there was an insert with a note from Costner about why he wanted to add the scenes to the film - it also got a limited theatrical release over here before the video was put out.

7. rutger_s

rutger_s Supporting Actor

The U.S. theatrical cut is the final director's cut.

The international theatrical cut is approved by Kevin Costner.

Kinowelt is the only known distributor to have enough of the sound elements to do 5.1 channel remixes of the soundtrack. However, Kinowelt has not licensed any materials to any other distributors.

Which is why the R2 Spain release of Dances With Wolves - Extended is presented in Dolby Surround English.

The chances of dts for the extended cut is pretty slim at this point.

I'd say if you want dts, try to find the out-of-print Image Entertainment two-disc set.

8. Jon_W

Jon_W Stunt Coordinator

I agree we most likley will not see DTS on the upcoming release . However, studios are resourceful so I wouldn't put it past MGM to get the proper elements to make a 5.1 track. Remember people thought we would never see the supplements from the Live edition of Platoon. Also, people were suprised that Critrion licensed out their commentary for Monty Python and the Holy Grail, so I would not automatically assume that there will be no 5.1 track for the extended cut. Maybe Rutger has inside info, I don't know.

9. YANG

YANG Second Unit

If the extended cut of the movie is released in a DVD9 disc,most propably the soundtrack will be in much lower bit rate such as 192kbs DOLBY SURROUND/384kbs DD5.1 due to the main feature's running time.DTS is highly impossible(not to forget MGM's reluctance to DTS)...

10. Andrew_Ballew

Andrew_Ballew Second Unit

11. Michael Johnston

Michael Johnston Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the dts responses.
    Actually, I already own a dts copy of the current Image release. I was trying to decide if I should dump it with the new version coming out.
    Michael

12. Robert_eb

Robert_eb Supporting Actor

I have the two disc dts dvd and there's no way on Earth that i'm going to part with mine. This is a full bit rate dvd and I doubt that the new version will have a full bit dts soundtrack.

13. JohnnyD

JohnnyD Auditioning

I hate to bust in on this conversation with a stupid question but, when is this going to be released?:b

JohnnyD

14. Chad Gregory

Chad Gregory Supporting Actor

Johnny,

Not a dumb question. There hasn't been an announcement. No one really knows when this is going to be released. Just speculating on the contents.

-Chad

15. JohnnyD

JohnnyD Auditioning

Thanks Chad.

I really got excited about the the prospect of a re-release of this movie, as I missed out on the first release on DVD.

It is one my favorites (my VHS copy is just about dust).

JohnnyD

16. Chad Gregory

Chad Gregory Supporting Actor

Don't worry, it's coming. [​IMG] We just aren't sure when yet.