Question about "the untouchables" laserdisc

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by greg_t, May 9, 2002.

1. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

I recently purchased about 10 lasers off of ebay, one of them being "the untouchables" widescreen. Now, I don't have a 16x9 set yet but plan on getting the new toshiba 50h82 when it comes out later this year. While looking over the specs on the untouchables, it states at the bottom "This film is presented in an Anamaphoric Widescreen format". I was not aware the lasers could be anamaphoric, so my question is, is this the same anamaphoric enchancments that we get on DVD's? Any info is appreciated. Thanks!!

Greg

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

3. John P Grosskopf

John P Grosskopf Second Unit

Now that you've solved the "anamorphic" issue, which pressing did you get?

If you have the original widescreen non AC-3 disc, you are in for a treat. If you got the widescreen AC-3 reissue, you're in for a world of dissapointment.

The first widesreen LD has a picture pretty comparable to the DVD, though it is a redish-orange when compared to the DVD and does not have as much resoultion of fine picture detail. The sound however is superior to the 5.1 DD tracks on both the AC-3 LD and DVD (according to DVD File). The picture on the AC-3 LD is supposed to be infereior to the first widescreen LD version as well (again according to DVD File anyway) but I have not actually viewed that LD.

Suffice it to say that I purchased the DVD of Untouchables when it came out, and regretted it right off the bat. The 5.1 track is not as good as the original PCM tracks on the first widescreen LD. That taack really rocks, while the 5.1 DVD (and AC-3 LD apparantly) is just really poor in comparrison.

The DVD I gave away even though it has a better picture. I'm sticking to the first widescreen LD version, and have viewed it at least twice since the DVD came out.

4. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

Thanks for the responses. My version is indeed the dolby surround, non AC3 version. I'm glad you brought that up John because last night I was reading the review of the laser on widescreen review and they showed it has being AC3. I then looked at mine and saw it was dolby surround but has the same catalog number. Your post cleared that up for me. Thanks.

Greg

5. John P Grosskopf

John P Grosskopf Second Unit

Oustanding Greg!

Now sit back for a treat. The opening title sequence of the first widescreen LD has mucho bass content and really kicks you in the ass.

When this disc came out, it was demo material months. The bridge shootout is also outstanding as well, with a real sense of being there and stirring accompanying music to boot!

With the DVD the sound just never seemed to put you into the action, and the opening was waaayyyyy weaker than the old PCM on the LD. The DVD was just not as coherent overall.

I wish Paramount would go back and do this title right with Brian DePalma's imput, as well as commentary track by him and the actors. Paramount is missing out on a cash cow here by not treating this title right.