Question about "The Rock" CC

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Roy O, Nov 26, 2002.

1. Roy O

Roy O Agent

When I play "The Rock" in DTS 5.1 my dvd player say's it's receiving a signal in 2.0 channel while my receiver indicates I'm receiving a DTS signal. If I switch to 5.1 DD I get more sound from the rear speakers.

Is this normal for this particular DVD?

Most dvd's played on my set-up have a sound more to my liking in DTS but this the only one to not indicate 5.1 DTS on the dvd player even though it is listed in the audio set-up for 5.1 DTS.

2. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

The sound is "more to your liking" on other DTS DVDs because they are mastered on the DVD at a higher level than the DD on most discs. In the case of 'The Rock:CC', the DD level is higher, giving the illusion of better sound.
    Just turn the volume knob a little more if you want the DTS to sound like the DD [​IMG]

3. Declan

Declan Second Unit

personally i always thought that the DD5.1 was faaaaaar better than the DTS (even after turning up the volume to match it), LFE was better defined as was rear effects.

With regards to the DTS showing up as 2ch on your player. Mine did'nt do that with The Rock, but on End Of Days it displayed 2ch on the player, but I was certainly hearing 5.1(very underratted track End Of days has as well). I would'nt worry about it as as long as your hearing what your meant to hear then the player is going fine. It just is an isolated incident with a few discs, and is no cause for concern at all.

But the DD5.1 is way better than the DTS on the Rock. Same as all the Leathal Weapon Dir Cuts 1, 2 and 3 DVD's. Dont want to turn this into a DD v DTS debate but on these discs there really is a distinct difference.

4. Roy O

Roy O Agent

The 2 ch was what was throwing me for a loop I guess. Definetly getting the LFE with the DTS and there is sound from the rears. I think this is one that we will just have to remember to play in DD5.1. I belive it gives the best sound seperation for this paricular DVD. Cranking up the volume really did Rock![​IMG] Thanks for the feedback.

5. Joey B

Joey B Stunt Coordinator

Just so you think you're not crazy, I get the same thing on my Toshiba player. What brand DVD do you have? I also think the DD sounds a little more dynamic. I've asked this question a couple of times and never gotten much response. It must be a conspiracy[​IMG]
    Joey

6. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

The Audio track is mislabled

7. Roy O

Roy O Agent

8. David Coleman

David Coleman Supporting Actor

On this one I have to go for the DD over the DTS. The DTS sounds very compressed!

9. Joey B

Joey B Stunt Coordinator

Whoa! I also have an RXV-800! Nice Reciever choice.

Joey