What's new

question about the progressive feature on dvd players (1 Viewer)

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
hi all -

i noticed just about every dvd player these days features progressive output. even very inexpensive ones (around 75 bucks) have this functionality.

as is usually the case, you get what you pay for.

so, what is better about the progressive functionality in the more expensive players ... assuming there is one? do the less expensive players still "hold up"???

thx!

ted

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
No the cheapo players have a very poor de-interlacing chipset so they are not really any better than interlaced which the majority of buyers of the super-cheap models are going to be using anyway. You have to get above $250 to get a decent progressive player with a top-rated chipset like Faroudja.

George Caronan

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Ted. I agree with Don about the cheap progressive scan DVD players that they don't use efficient de-interlacing chipsets. If you are thinking of purchasing a DVD progressive scan player, I suggest the Denon DVM-1815. It is a five disc changer with the Faroudja chipset. I have one which plays flawlessly. The newer Yamahas also have Faroudja. Comparing the Faroudja processing with run-of-the-mill progressive scans is no contest.

Mark:F

Stunt Coordinator
George,
I was glad to see your comment on the 1815...I had started a thread looking for Denon opinions with no response yet...curious, did you consider the 2815?

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
thx guys. do you know about the pioneer dv-563a? i've been following the lengthy thread, but i don't recall them discussing the quality of the chipset.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Ted, to add to what Don and George posted, you might check out some online sites for discontinued (but new) players with the Faroudja chipset. The Denon 1600, for example, can be found for $300–$400 and is a very fine player, though not longer in production.

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
Yes the Denon DVD-1600 and the old Panasonic RP82,XP30,XP50 were all the top-rated Faroudja-based players. I picked up a used XP30 on EBAY for $200 and its working great!

Todd K

Second Unit
Do you think the price of the faroudja-bearing players will drop in months to come, or will the trend continue towards cheaper chipsets, leaving the sturdily-built machines only to those who are willing to fork out big bucks?

p.s. And with talk of chroma bugs, and improper flag reading... will there ever be a perfect player? Or are most HTFers just too nitpicky??

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
thx for the tip on the denon 1600. i will certainly check that out.

i'm getting a new rptv in the very near future (probably a mits 55") and am really looking to get the most out of it.

:)

greg_t

Screenwriter
Ted,

Remember in your search that the deinterlacer is only one part of the overall picture. Players like the Denon 1600, XP30,etc, have both great deinterlacing and great basic video quality. I guess my point is not to get hung up only on the quality of the deinterlacer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks