Question about the Piranha DVD...

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Scott Weinberg, Jun 4, 2003.

1. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

As a big fan of both Humanoids from the Deep and Piranha I was disappointed to see them both released in Full Frame - only releases.

But while reading a very entertaining review of the Piranha DVD over at DVD Talk's Cine-Schlock-O-Rama, I came across this information:

Can anyone confirm this? Did Piranha somehow play in theaters in a "full frame"??

Or am I missing some technical knowledge that would allow this explanation to make sense?

2. Matt<>Broon

Matt<>Broon Stunt Coordinator

Well if the director thinks he filmed it for full screen then I guess he's probably right or losing it badly! [​IMG]

As for playing it at a 4:3 aspect ratio in a theater I can't see any immediate problem with that. Remember that films before about '53 were in 1.33:1 (Academy flat ratio) or 'full screen' anyway.

Many of the greatest films of all time (Throne of Blood, Mr Hulot's Holiday & Ordet spring immediately to mind) were shot and framed for this aspect ratio so as long as the director framed it that way there's no reason to worry about the transfer..

3. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

Thanks, Matt.

I figured it was some sort of "similar to old movies" sort of answer. (Hey my Day the Earth Stood Still is Full Frame too! That's total B.S.!) [​IMG]

Perhaps I'll buy this one after all. This flick scared the hell out of me when I was a kid. [​IMG]

4. Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson Screenwriter

I suspect what they mean (they cover this topic on the insert booklet as well) is that it was FILMED full-frame, but was intended to be matted down to 1.85:1 when projected.

All R2 versions from MGM are in the correct 1.85:1 aspect ratio and anamorphic, but are barebones.

The R1 is a fantastic disc and it is open-matte rather than pan-and-scan, so by all means go for it! It's not the kind of film where the framing of each shot is paramount to your enjoyment, so live with the extra headroom and enjoy people getting eaten by mutant piranha! (Is that a spoiler? [​IMG])

5. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese

6. Jon Robertson

7. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    Well, the Piranha theatrical 35mm prints were full-frame (to be soft-matted down to 1.85), so I'm not sure where Dante's quote contradicts this fact.

He's upset that they took an older full-frame transfer and would have liked to see them make a new transfer and make it 16x9 enhanced. Zooming the current disc *does* recreate the theatrical ratio, though it may not look very good due to it being an older transfer.

8. Jon Robertson

I was referring to your implication that full-frame was how Joe Dante wanted the film to be seen.