Question about the Panasonic F85S

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Jonathan W, Sep 28, 2003.

1. Jonathan W

Jonathan W Agent

For $150 bucks, the Panasonic F85S appears to be a real steal. I've never had the zoom option, for example, with my Pioneer DV-C503. Only complaint is that I can't isolate the timer for individual chapters. The timer only ticks offs the time from beginning to end of the movie.

My question is this. I've had the player for little over a week. All the disks have played fine, with a few exceptions. Whenever I fast forward to a spot on a disk, the action in the movie will sometimes have a slight pixelated after-effect during regular play. For example, I fast forward to a scene where two people are talking, and maybe two minutes into their conversation, there will be a slight freeze in a small section of the screen (not related to a layer change). I notice it, reverse, play again, and the phenomenon doesn't repeat itself. Play is normal. But is this normal for a new player?

Also, on my Anchor Bay BULLET FOR THE GENERAL disk, there's a section on the disk that continuously plays funny. There's a little pixilation -- not much -- but sometimes it plays out worse than other times. If I reverse and play again in this section, the ten second scene might play, freeze, and then continue to play; or, the scene might even play almost seamlessly. Is this the disk, or the player? The territory where the flaw exist is in a consistent region, but the flaw is not exact in its playback. These freezes are not related to the layer change, which takes place much later.

I would really appreciate any insights.

2. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

I would think,,,, this is not normal or correct operation for the player!

Being I don't own one and to this point no one has chimed in that dose, I'm guessing that it's a problem with the lazer/s reading properly after you fast or back. This assuming it's doingit more often han not with most any disc.

======>
    If you just let a movie play, say the ones you have had problems with when going fast ahead or 10 second back, do they play out fine as long as you "don't do that"???
    Meaning no hic-ups, freezing, pixalation, total break-up, etc???
    ======>

I'm going into the big city today and had panned on checking out that player and a few others for our bedroom system. I'm hoping one will be hooked up and I can a least get to do a basic demo, best as possible anyway at your typical BB, CC, etc....[​IMG]

======>
    Aside from the problem that you mention, how do you like the player and it's different features? and

Are you running it interlaced or progress????

Also dose that player have a detachable power cord?
    ======>

I apoligize as it seems I have more questions for you,,,, than a"for sure answer" to your question! :b

Regards
    Geoff

3. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

What you are describing (pixelation/freezes) is an indication of data read errors from the DVD. Clean the surface of the DVD of with soap and water, if that doesn't work its probably scratched. Panasonic DVD players appear to be one of the worst in terms of error correction, other manufacturers are better in this area and can play slightly scratched or dirty DVDs (like used rentals) better.

4. Jonathan W

Jonathan W Agent

Thanks for the responses. Other than this problem, the player is great. But, the problem is an unusual one in that, out of the many disks I've played on it, two (A Bullet For the General and The Ninth Gate) are new disks that have a shifting pixelation problem. The problem never repeats itself exactly and yes, the problem has arisen after I've used the step feature -- but not immediately after. I can speed up to a scene, have it play fine for ten minutes, then see a quick pixelation shift -- a shift so quick I would miss it if I blinked. However, going over the same area -- about a fifteen second radius -- can produce some slight pixelation results. The disk typically doesn't stop, and the player works beautifully otherwise. I might add, both disks only have this problem in one or two tiny areas.

To Don, thanks for the insight. These are clean disks, but maybe it is the microscopic dust that I've heard about. If panasonic is the bad player for corrections, what is the best alternative in this price range?

5. pitchman

pitchman Screenwriter

Gary
    Jonathan, take it back and exchange your player.

My original DVD-F85S had similar error correction problems. And, although mine only happened with a couple of discs, it was repeatable. Since it seems like I always have had a glitch or two at some point with my other players (Sony, Panasonic, Pioneer, Xbox, PS2,) I didn't think much of it at the time.

I ended up returning the F85S because the 'open/close' button on the front of the player did not work correctly. The replacement plays my 'problem' discs without a hitch, so my guess is that your laser pickup may just be a hair off. The Panasonic does not offer a service menu laser pickup alignment adjustment like the Sony, so service or exchange is your only option. Since your player is only a week old, I'd just exchange it for another. To be absolutely certain, you may want to try one of your problem discs on a store demo unit.

6. Jonathan W

Jonathan W Agent

Here's the latest on my situation:

I exchanged the old F85S for a new F85S, and I'm more confused than before. This new model has problems playing the NINTH GATE DVD in places where the old model had no trouble, but this machine appears to play the other disks fine. What's scary about the NINTH GATE is that the pixelation pops up all over the place. For a few minutes, the screen will look fine, and then it goes to hell. The small trouble spots from before have expanded to more consistent pixelation moments. What might have been a slight pixelation has become several extended bits of pixelation in one sequence. Again, repeating the scenes does not produce the exact same results, but now, there's much more pixelation. Whereas you could have missed it on the old player, it is obvious and nasty with the new player.

Otherwise, the new player appears to have no trouble with the other disks (KIDS ARE ALRIGHT, FAMILY GUY, ASWANG, NEAR DARK). I don't get it. I don't want to pop a disk in three months from now and get a compatability issue. I'm going to exchange the NINTH GATE DVD, since it has been consistent as a problem disk, but why did it get much worse with the new player?

7. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Jonathan

Gosh you gota be really frustrated by this point. It may be a bad lot of Panny-85's at that store, has happened with other brands models.

If it were me, I'd return it and either go with a different brand/model player, JVC, Pioneer, Denon, etc. Or go to a "totaly different store" and try for the 3rd time another new Panny-85.

I ended up going with the JVC XV-N50BK and brought it home for a test drive. I am very pleased so far and no problems/glitchs with anything I've thrown at it. Of course it is a single disc unit and the only real bitch I have, is that it has ~{stuck on fuzzys for feet}~. [​IMG]

After a few days of test running it on the bedroom system, I decided it is a keeper and installed some real feet on it. Kind of a anal thing I know,:b but definitly looks much better in IMO and may actually help a bit with vibrations from subsonic bass.

If you "do not" need the multi disc capability and looking for a very reasonable priced player, with a 20.00 rebate, the JVC-50 comes in at (99.00)+tax at BB. They only had the black at our store, (GR-Michigan), but it's also available in a Silver, model# is 55 rather than 50.

Hope you can get a Panny that runs right or find another player brand/model that fits the bill for you without the pix/break-up problems!

Best of luck
    Geoff