Question about "The Hidden" (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Movies' started by AJ Johnson, Jul 27, 2003.

1. AJ Johnson

AJ Johnson Stunt Coordinator

The ending of a sci-fi "B" movie called The Hidden has caused years of argument between me and my girlfriend. We just watched it again recently and we still don't agree.

When the cop (Michael Nouri) dies in the end I think the good alien (Kyle MacLachlan) in the movie took over the cop's body and intended on living out the rest of his life with the cop's wife and daughter because it made up for the bad alien killing his wife and kid back on his home planet. I think this way because the cop's daughter looks at him with this weird expression as if she could tell that wasn't really her father before the movie fades out to black.

My girlfriend thinks the good alien gave up his lifeforce to bring the cop back to life because after killing the bad alien he had nothing to live for since his wife and kid are dead back on his home planet.

If anyone has seen this movie I would like to know what you think. If you haven't seen this movie I hope I didn't spoil it for you lol.

2. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Producer

My take on the ending of The Hidden is the same as yours. If Nouri had merely been resuscitated by MacLachlan's 'life force' then the scene with his daughter would not have made any sense. The film establishes the premise that when a 'transfer' takes place, the host is out of the picture, so to speak.

From memory - Nouri's character dies before MacLachlan 'transfers' himself to the corpse. Not only does MacLachlan's character gain a family, his action ensures that Nouri's wife and daughter don't suffer the emotional turmoil of losing Nouri. He essentially becomes a surrogate father and husband which neatly ties up the plot points of the loss of his family and Nouri's death.

- Walter.

3. AJ Johnson

AJ Johnson Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Walter. I almost thought maybe I was reading too much into the ending but I agree with everything you said and it reaffirms what I think.

4. Dennis Pagoulatos

Dennis Pagoulatos Supporting Actor

Dennis
    I've always classified this film as something MUCH better than the sum of its parts. It just works really well, despite the "B movie" cliches spread throughout. Michael Nouri is just about perfect in the role, as is Kyle Macdaklfjie (I never remember the spelling of his name!):b It's one of my most watched DVD's as a matter of fact! [​IMG]

-Dennis

5. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Cinematographer

Yeah, I've always really liked this movie. I had zero expectations for it when it first came into theaters and ended up being totally surprised by how fun it was, especially the opening action scene, which gets you going better than almost any action movie I can think of [​IMG]

Oh, and I agree with the take that the alien took over Nouri's body. Actually, I've never heard of anyone having a different perspective on that before [​IMG]

6. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou
    One of my faves, a great little SF thriller, and that was my take on the ending too, the giveaway is the little girls reaction.

7. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Producer

Nice to see a few fans of this little gem on the HTF. I managed to catch The Hidden theatrically and have been a fan ever since. The film uses the metal soundtrack to good effect. While Chris Mulkey was effective in the driving sequence, my favorite villain phase was the middle aged man, whose penchant for metal music and fast cars seemed remarkably human to me. [​IMG] ( Loved the restaurant scene. )

The entire 'transfer' mechanism allowed the antagonist to 'use up' his hosts with no regard for their long term health which gave him a decided advantage in confrontations. One of the neater concepts in the film.

- Walter.

8. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou
    [rant]"I WANT this car!"[/rant] [​IMG]

9. Neil J

Neil J Stunt Coordinator

I haven't seen the movie in awhile but I've had the same thoughts as your g/f because I thought the aliens had to transfer their whole bodies through the hosts mouth.

10. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

a guilty pleasure movie of mine. i haven't seen it in ages, so i can't comment on the ending.

i knew it was gonna be a good movie after the opening scene. wasn't concrete blonde's "still in hollywood" playing in the background? what a great tune!