Question about the Energy Take Speakers

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by larry h., Jan 11, 2004.

1. larry h.

larry h. Auditioning

I'm thinking about buying a set of enery take speakers to replace my bottom of the line JBLs I bought at best buy a few years ago. Time to move up or at least that's what I'm hoping I'm doing. I'm on a very low budget so that's the reasons for the Takes. My question is, what is the difference in the Take 5.2 system and the Take5+1. I know the 5+1 comes with the sub and a Take 1 center and 4 Take 2 sats. The Take 5.2 comes with a Take 1.2 center and 4 Take 2.2 sats and no sub. What's the difference in the models models for the .2? Is it just cosmetic or is there more too it?

2. EdNichols

EdNichols Second Unit

Someone who knows more might chime in here but I think the 5.2 's have 1" tweeter and an improved woofer vs the 5.1's 3/4" tweeter. I am using the 5.1's as surrounds and they work fine. I have heard the whole take system and it sounds very good.

3. Greg-ST

Greg-ST Stunt Coordinator

4. larry h.

larry h. Auditioning

nothing like confusing me more on what speakers to get. [​IMG]

5. EdNichols

EdNichols Second Unit

I have seen this report and it the only one that speaks negatively of the Takes. Everything else I have read speaks well of them.

6. Rajeev_s

Rajeev_s Stunt Coordinator

I have the Take 5 5.1 set up. I compared them to 5.2s, didnt notice too much of a difference in sound at a local audio shop. I was on a budget, so I went with Take 5s. Love my setup.

7. Manuel Delaflor

Manuel Delaflor Supporting Actor

Im also interested in the difference. Oh and Greg, the link to Geocities is completly unecesary! that guy is just trying to make you buy the JBLs, but some of us does not have the chance... so, the Energy Take 5 are still a good choice for us! Lots of awards of respected publications weight more than a single person's view. [​IMG]

8. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

Manuel Delaflor - when I put that webpage up the JBL's were less than the Take 5's / 5.2's and based on my subjective auditioning, they lack dynamics and lower mids vs. the JBL NSP1's I bought (now @ my vacation house).

Sound and Vision confirmed what I heard when Tom Nousaine documented that the Take 5.2's did not have lower usable mids/bass below 110 Hz whereas the same HT Speaker Testing Standard by Nousaine verified that all the JBL NSP1's NSP1's reached 89 Hz!

Laws of physics dictates that you can't force the little 5.2's to produce anything lower than 110 Hz, and I received many emails of Take 5 owner HTFer's that complained when pushed hard, they blew a driver.

I've listened to my JBL NSP1's w/15" AudioSource sub @ -10 dB below REF Level (approdx. 105/106 dB Fast LFE SPL Peaks) in my 20' x 30' HT/Family room with clear, wide dynamics and with no fear of blowing the JBL's!

FYI:

So, if decor and a very small room dictates the Take HT Speakers - please buy them, especially over anything Bose offers! But if performance and dynamics like a real Theater is important, then I'd recommend the JBL new N-Series update = the E-Series E20's, E10's and EC35's.

Phil

9. Manuel Delaflor

Sorry Phil, but thats irrelevant when I Cant buy the JBL's, as I clearly stated before. As much as I wanted to have more mids, my options are cheap HtiB systems, a set of used CHT Velodyne satellites and the Take 5+1s

10. Phil Iturralde

If you're happy with what you have based on your circumstances, ... then super!!! [​IMG] "The Day After Tomorrow" DVD is a DD/DTS-5.1 /w/LFE surround effects smorgasbord! I forced-on the Matrix 6.1 for a most glorious sonic event!

So, my point is, ... for those with the option(s) to audition JBL's, please add them to your list and have fun! Many that decided to purchase the JBL's without auditioning them were not disappointed!

Phil

11. Manuel Delaflor

Phil, my other choice are these: http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...rs-8-2000.html apparently, they can do 80Hz, (they are rated at +/-2dB by Velodyne, and I think they do not "inflate" specs) and would cost me the same as the Take 5s but without a subwoofer. As your site (by the way good site) demonstrate, you have spent some time researching, maybe you can tell me something about them?

12. Phil Iturralde

I highly recommend getting a sub when you can. Like all-satellite bookshelf speakers, ... you get the full-HT-impact with a powered sub-woofer in the mix!

REF Calibrate the whole setup for glorious neighbor disturbing SPL'!!! [​IMG]

Phil

13. Manuel Delaflor

Thing is that I dont need that volume to be happy, but I do like decent mid bass. I will try to listen both systems before buy.

Oh, and I have plenty subs around for the task hehe, I love subwoofers

14. Eric Chong

Eric Chong Extra

Since I own the Take 5.1's (for my second system) and bought my sister Take 5.2's I can probably speak about their differences.

Tweeter - different the 5.2's are "better"
    Woofer - different, the 5.2's are larger and have semi translucent white cone with a rubber surround. The 5.1's have a smaller black cone with foam surround
    Size - the 5.2's are slightly larger
    Enclosure - the 5.2's are ported the 5.1's are sealed
    Finish - the original Take 5.1s only came in black gloss, the later ones also in a black wood finish. The Take 5.2s come in black or maple
    Wall Mounting - the 5.1's use a ball and a grip that tightens around it for up and down, side to side flexibility. The 5.2's use a kind of needle point to accomplish the same thing.
    Stands - they are different and not interchangeable, the 5.2's are more hefty and use the same type of wall mounting piece to angle. The 5.1 stands are fixed (no up and down angling). Both stands you have to adjust the height by adding or removing the support poles.

The subs are different - it really depends on which sub you get with the package.

15. Manuel Delaflor

Eric

Thanks for the comparo, what about the sound? some people say they don't listen to any difference between both systems. Im interested specifically in mid bass (the transition from the sub to the sats) at around 90Hz to 150Hz and in the lower end reach of the 8 inch sub (to my knowledge, both reach to about 30Hz with some authority).

16. Eric Chong

Eric Chong Extra

can't say anything about the sub as I use an XL-10 which is the 10 incher in my get up and my sister uses a Reel 8" sub. If I compare my XL-10 sub to the subs in my primary HT - it is simply not fair as there are more of them and each one cost about 8 - 10 times the amount. The XL-10 does have decent deep extension given its price. You do hear port noise if driven hard. My NAD AVR has a preset xover and I don't know what it is.

17. Manuel Delaflor

I finally bought them. As the reviews say, they are amazing considering its size. OF COURSE they don't sound like larger speakers, but are well balanced and the sub is incredible good for the money. So good in fact that I will sell my Infinity IL100S, because their 8 inch sub bests the Infinity in low extension!