Question about the Columbia House WOODY WOODPECKER AND FRIENDS DVD series...

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Dick, Apr 4, 2005.

1. Dick

Dick Lead Actor
    Supporter

Rick
    Are the cartoons contained on these volumes unedited and with opening and end credits, or are they cut as on the t.v. show? I notice that the Tex Avery cartoons I have been dying to acquire (LEGEND OF ROCKABYE POINT, CRAZY MIXED-UP PUP) are included in these sets, but I'm not sure I want them if the beginning and ends are lopped off. It would be too bad if, after all this time, the Walter Lantz stuff all showed up in truncated form. Anyone have these?

2. Prentice Cotham

Prentice Cotham Supporting Actor

From what I've read, they are cut.

3. DaveK

DaveK Second Unit

Prentice....Not all the shorts are edited, I'm guessing at least 60 - 70% of them are. They are taken from the Woody Woodpecker Series that was shown on TV during the 1970s.

Due to popular demand from the public, some of the tv edited shorts have been replaced with uncut, remastered prints of the film

This link will help you out.
    http://lantz.goldenagecartoons.com/v...mbiahouse.html

4. John Whittle

John Whittle Stunt Coordinator

Some of the cartoons have been cut and use TV titles. These are actually the 1/2 hour tv shows complete with the Woody openings "time for anther cartoon". Ironically most of the 30s and 40 cartoons have the original openings with the Universal Plexiglass globe and original title cards. When you get to the late 40s when Lantz released for a short period through UA, some are missing the titles and the films from the 50s (back to Universal-International) they're missing the titles again.

I bought volumes 1 thru 10 and it's a very expensive way to get the cartoons (after the first two, they were $19.95 each with expensive shipping and handling). They offered an additional release which I turned down.

I think the Tex Avery cartoons are from the later period and are lacking the original titles.

John

5. Tory

Tory -The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-

Tory
    I keep hoping that something better comes along since I refuse to join that restrictive a club from which I hear nightmare stories about regularly, why can't they be mixed in with the other DVD's? I would want them all now as opposed to one once in a while. Also CH hates me and I hates them, I ordered some CDs from their clearance sale and they charged me full price, I complained they did not listen, I sent them back and they kept sending me a bill so I cut ties.