Question about "The Aviator" DVD

Discussion in 'DVD' started by JeffLab, Aug 11, 2006.

1. JeffLab

JeffLab Stunt Coordinator

I just picked this up the other day, never seen it before. I'm wondering if there is something wrong with my copy. I began watching the feature, when I noticed somewhere around chapter 6, the golf course scene, the color went haywire on me. Everything went sort of a reddish brown and aqua blue-green. I don't know if its a defective dvd, or if its an intentional look for the film. Just want to make sure before I returned it for nothing. Wierd thing is, I tried skipping back a few chapters and that look is still there. Not sure if I hadn't noticed, or if it suddenly appeared.

Thanks for your replies.

2. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    It's intentional. [​IMG]

Aqua colored peas are the wave of the future... wave of the future... wave of the future...

3. Jack Theakston

Jack Theakston Supporting Actor

Jack Theakston
    As Patrick said, it's intentional (and from reviews everywhere, NO ONE got it, so don't feel bad). Scorscese was trying, in each scene, to represent what color photography in film for each era. So everything from 1927 up until 1935 takes on the look of the Multicolor system (which Hughes himself owned and used in his film HELL'S ANGELS) with shades of red and blue. A full "Technicolor" palette begins at the shot of the Chrysler Building just after the newsreel, establishing Juan Trippe and his very green office (intentional, you think?)

4. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Lead Actor
    Supporter

Josh Steinberg
    I got it, actually. I remember sitting in the theater and noticing these shifts in color schemes and thinking, "Wow, is Scorsese really going for this? Amazing!" It was a brilliant and beautiful thing to see -- I really did enjoy seeing this movie!

5. chuckg

chuckg Supporting Actor

I noticed the film color right away....and thought it was a great choice!

In another vein, I watched this film just a couple nights ago, and was startled right out of my seat ( chapter 30, about 2.5 hrs) when HH fires up the engines on the Hercules. Man, that a fun surround effect! I must remember to use it when showing off my system......

6. Dustin James

Dustin James Stunt Coordinator