Question about the aspect ratio handling by DVD Players

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sam Davatchi, Feb 13, 2002.

1. Sam Davatchi

Sam Davatchi Producer

I was talking to someone and he told me that if the DVD software is correctly authored, it would be able to switch your widescreen TV to 16:9 mode for anamorphic videos and to 4:3 mode for non-anamorphic videos! Well I have a pretty good widescreen TV and 2 DVD Players and never saw this! Is this true? Anyone knows if he is mistaking or not? Thanks!

2. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Actually, the players do not change the viewing mode on the television. Instead, they scale the image to fit into the 16x9 or FULL mode of your TV.

3. Stacey

Stacey Stunt Coordinator

Hi Scott,
    As far as I have ever seen all DVD players have the ability to play DVD's in "Regular" Mode (4x3) and in "Wide" mode (16x9). If you have the manuals for your DVD players they should lead you to the correct menue to change this, if not it may take a bit of Menu Digging but it should be there.
    [​IMG]

4. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Stacey,

I was not referring to setting your TV screen size in the player's setup menu. Specifically, players such as the Panasonic RP-91 (which I own) as well as other models provide aspect ratio control to scale and zoom the image for 16x9 monitors. Specifically, the RP-91 will windowbox a 1.33:1 image on a 16x9 (1.78:1) screen, and also scale/zoom a non-anamorphic widescreen transfer to the dimmensions of a standard anamorphic transfer.

This aspect ratio control allows progessive scan DVD players to work with certain 16x9 televisions that lock into a FULL viewing mode when presented a 480p video signal. It also provides improved image quality for non-anamorphic widescreen transfers and convenience in viewing supplemental material.

5. Sam Davatchi

Sam Davatchi Producer

So my answer is no?

6. Stephen Tu

Stephen Tu Screenwriter

I think all the previous replies misinterpreted the original question. I don't think Sam was asking about either on-the-fly P&S (showing a 4:3 window out of a 16:9 frame, a feature on some DVD demo discs but probably used in at most 0.0001% of actual movies because of severe limitations vs. simply encoding a separate 4:3 transfer), or scaling feature for non-16:9 discs (so that 4:3 letterbox discs show up in proper ratio on older progressive scan TV sets that have the "lock in full" problem).

The actual question is about a feature that automatically switches the zoom mode on the TV to an appropriate one depending on whether the disc is 16:9 (aka "anamorphic") or non-16:9. My understanding is that this is not disc-dependent; it is a feature that has to be supported by both the DVD player and the TV. Pioneer refers to this feature as "S2" on their web site. I think it uses a signal on an unused S-video pin to tell the TV which zoom mode to use. Maybe in Europe it's on an SCART pin.

7. Sam Davatchi

Sam Davatchi Producer

Yes my question is what Stephen said. The feature of setting your DVD-Player to 16:9, 4:3 LB or PS is a totally different matter!

So it exists? Is that feature new and rare to some very few widescreen TVs? Because as I said, I have a pretty good widescreen TV and 2 DVD-Players and never saw this and I use SCART!