question about the angel in evangelion w/ spoilers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by felix_suwarno, May 2, 2002.

1. felix_suwarno

felix_suwarno Screenwriter

what is the angel? how did they manage to send the 17th angel in the shape of human, and nerv didnt know about it?

why is the 18th angel is human itself?

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

1-Angels are Angels as in biblical angels

2-Because he came in a form they weren't looking for, and he was cloaking his powers until the time to strike. Remember they never get the signal until an Angel has begun the attack

3-In biblical mythology, God created man AFTER the angels, hence, we are the 18th Angel

3. Frank Anderson

Frank Anderson Cinematographer

Wow. Now I have something to look forward to. Thanks for the spoiler warnings.

4. Shayne Lebrun

Shayne Lebrun Screenwriter

I thought the thread title was more than enough warning, myself.

5. felix_suwarno

so, god sent them to attack humans? i dont get it.

6. Jeff Kleist

Then watch the show again. And watch it in Japanese, I have no idea how much the dub mangles it, but a dub that bad can't possibly help things

It's all explained

7. felix_suwarno

do you think i speak japanese?

8. Jeff Kleist

No, but you speak English, and there are English subtitles

9. Frank Anderson

10. Bill Crosthwait

Bill Crosthwait Second Unit

I agree with Jeff I definitely recommend watching the show in Japanese with the English subtitles. The show will be explained better.

11. felix_suwarno

ohhh sorry.

i did watch it in japanese then. but somehow i always missed the important dialogues. like, i didnt know that there were 17 angels in the bible. hell, i dont read the bible that much. and unfortunately i dont have time to watch it all again.

so if you could just explain to me what really happened i would be a very happy htf forumer.

12. Frank Anderson

If anyone takes the time to explain it all to Felix please use spoiler blocks. Hopefully I will be done with the series this week. And I am sure there are others who may be interested in viewing it and would prefer not to know how it ends.

13. Jeff Kleist

Being an atheist, I've done a lot of Bible reading. I find that most atheists are more biblically literate than most(not all!) Christians I meet.

Most of Eva is taken from the Dead Sea Scrolls

Man has achieved the power of creation, and therefore brought themselves almost to the level of God's Power. Of course, this angers God so he sends the Angels to destroy us before we surpass him. Unfortunately he's too late

14. felix_suwarno

i actually caught that bit, but i didnt get it. how come god needed more than 1 angel to kill humans? i am also an atheist...but an angel that came from an embryo?

ok, i have another question :

looks like the eva was actually a living being, and he ate the angel in one episode. how come it sudennly needed to eat something? i really dont get it.

15. Jeff Kleist

You need to use spoiler bars on your message

Eva is an Angel. It ate it's enemy. If you read in Christian mythology (and no one do a Dogma quote here), you'll find that Angels do not carry harps and sing all the time. Instead they be bad-ass mofos. So there you go. The egg was just a dormant stage before they decided on the form

I REALLY suggest you go back and watch episode 13 and up again

16. Joe_C

Joe_C Supporting Actor

17. Joe_C

Joe_C Supporting Actor

18. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I won't be spoiler tagging, so read at your own risk.

!!!WARNING!!!

Back when Lillith was around, she wanted to have a mate, so Adam was created. They were together, but she eventually left him. He created Eve, and they created humans. The Angels are alternate lifeforms that could have existed besides humans, but we were the chosen lifeform. Since we wanted to fool around with god, they were sent here to "test" us. Whichever lifeform is able to start Third Impact first is the one that advances to the "next level" (for the angels, it would be replacing humans--for humans, it would be godliness). Since we humans were able to defeat the angels, we were able to show that we were worthy of godliness.

The last angel was supposed to be a representation of Jesus. He is perfect in every way and is a direct descendant of God. Humans are a separate angel from him in that he is perfect, while we are incomplete. Also, Eve is the same type of being as him because they were both made directly from Adam. After Adam and Eve made humans, they became a new angel, both new and incomplete.

The higher ups at NERV knew about him, but nobody else did. This was because he was not, as someone said before, using his powers (which is what their "radars" detect).

At least, those are some of the theaories about it, in addition to the other ones previously mentioned.

19. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Producer
    Supporter

Even watching this series in Japanese with English subs doesn't make it understandable. I didn't mind the series until I got to the end and then it was....WTF?!!

A total let down.

The show really had something going for it at the beginning and then.....BOOM!

20. Jeff Kleist

They ran out of money and story around Episode 24, so they have 2 mindf*ck episodes.

Forget those episodes, and while End of Eva is ALSO a mindf&ck, at least there's a real ending and a lot more meat on the bone