Question about Terminator 2: Ultimate Edition

Discussion in 'DVD' started by MarcoBiscotti, Mar 10, 2004.

1. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

This was one of the first DVD's that I had ever purchased but I sold it last year anticipating the Extreme Edition DVD. I only realised now while going over the specs, that many of the extras had been lost as they weren't ported over for this newer release.

What I would just like to know is, whether the Ultimate Edition featured all of the extras exclusive to that set, on the second disc? Were all the bonus features, and most importantly, the extra documentaries, presented alone on a bonus disc or were they featured on the same disc as the feature? It's been over a year since I've owned this so I totally foget.

I'd like to know because if in fact the exclusive documentaries and extras not currently featured on the Extreme Edition are presented on their own, than I will buy the Ultimate Edition once again just for the bonus disc and purchase one of those double-disc amarays with the third disc flap and keep that as an extra bonus disc for my set. I should probably pass by a rental store first and check it out though.

Anyways, can anyone tell me how the extras on T2: UE were presented and if they were featured on their own disc?

Thanks!!

2. Matt Czyz

Matt Czyz Supporting Actor

My copy consists of one disc, with the movie on one side and all of the extra content on side B. I do know that earlier versions of the UE consisted of two discs, disc one had the movie and disc 2 had all of the extra stuff.

On a side note, it's a shame more dvd's don't come with booklets that thick. Damn shame....

3. Randy B A

Randy B A Supporting Actor

T-2 UE came in two versions. A DVD-18 double sided disc and A two DVD-9's version. If you can find the latter you should have most of the extras on a second disc. However if you get the the single disc version you could do what you are talking about and have the three cuts of the movie and all the extras.

I have not upgrade mine to the extreme edition. I will wait for HD-DVD to do that. Later, Randy B A

4. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

Thanks guys!

PS - Does the EE not already feature the extended, director's and theatrical cut?

I thought it did?

5. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    Actually, T2:EE already has a HD copy on the 2nd disc, which you have to play on a PC with WMP9. Although I'm assuming you mean HD-DVD playable on a standalone HD-DVD player?

6. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

^ Which film version is this for Yee?

7. Mike Williams

Mike Williams Screenwriter

T2:EE features only the director's cut, although the theatrical version is available if you're able to view the HD version of the movie.

8. WillG

WillG Producer

The T2:EE does indeed feature the theatrical cut! It's just hidden as an Easter Egg. When you get to the menu you have to highlight one of the options (I can't remember which one it is offhand) and I believe hit the Right arrow key on your remote 5 times. It should highlight a "The Future is not Set" option and that will take you to a menu that allows you to play the Theatrical Cut.

9. Dave H

Dave H Producer

What WillG said.

10. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
  11. Nick T Robot

Nick T Robot Supporting Actor

Do you mean the 2 disc version has more extras?

12. DannyS

DannyS Second Unit

nope.

Apparently the 2 discer is quite rare. I have one.

It's the 1 disc version spread over 2 discs. It happeened as I think the Factory couldn't produce 1 disc versions on time or something.

13. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

Wow thanks for all the info. The 2 disc was quite rare?

Great... I sold it for around $13 about 4 months ago to some guy in Sweden!

Oh well...

So accounting for the easter egg, all movie cuts are featured on both sets?

Is the director's cut the same as the extended edition?

I only remember the theatrical adn extended version being featured on the Ultimate Edition anyways...

I guess I'll hunt down that second disc from UE and go ahead and buy the EE this week.

Thanks for all the help!

14. WillG

WillG Producer

The U.E. did in fact have three cuts on it. The third cut is basically the directors cut with one more scene added back in, and an alternate "happy" ending. The third cut was also an Easter Egg. On the menu of the U.E. you use your remote to enter the date of judgement day, It will light up a "The Future is not Set" Option just like in the E.E. That take you to the third cut. The E.E. does not give you the option to watch this 3rd cut, but the extra scene and the alternate ending do appear on the disc if you watch the film in enhanced mode.

15. Scott Burke

Scott Burke Second Unit

Scott B.
    In my opinon the best version of the film, was the version saw in theaters. The extra scence with John's Father at the sanitarium just slows the movie way down for me. Some of the extra CGI scenes were cool though, but not needed.

The theatrical version is the way to go.

16. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

Thanks!

Btw, does anyone else find it pretty ridiculous that the theatrical cut of the film is hidden in an easter egg. That's really the only thing that bothers me about this newer edition.

Anyways, thanks again. I'll definitely be picking it up based on everyone's input here.

17. WillG

WillG Producer

Yeah, I have to wonder why that was done as well.

18. Dave H

Dave H Producer

I agree. It would certainly be an added selling point for them to say the DVD contains both versions (making the theatrical easily accessible).

This has been talked about a lot before, but, damn, the EE version looks so good.

19. WillG

WillG Producer

I may have thought that the reason the theatrical version in hidden is because the Special Edition version is prefered by Cameron, a la "Aliens" but this was not the case with T2. It was a cool surprise when it turned out to be on there when nobody thought it would, but it is strange.

20. Randy B A

Randy B A Supporting Actor

No, the origional poster was asking if all the extras were on the second disc of the movie as he wanted to just have the second disc for the extras.

I was telling him that on the second disc he will have most of the extras, he will be missing the commentaries that are on the disc one with the three versions of the movie. Later Randy B A