Question about system cooling.

Discussion in 'Computers' started by ChuckM, Apr 12, 2003.

1. ChuckM

ChuckM Stunt Coordinator

My system runs at about 50c(cpu about 40c) and i was wondering if there is any good options for system cooling under $50. I am only concern about the system temp. at this point.

Also I currently have 2 fans in my computer one at front that sucks in air and one in the back that draws out. Is this a good setup or should both fans be drawing out air.

TIA!!

2. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

Your fan arrangement sounds OK, Chuck. The idea is that air is drawn into the case from the lower front and pulled out from the upper rear. That way the flow goes over the bulk of the components.

What hardware are you using and what software to monitor the temperatures (yes, it makes a difference)?

3. ChuckM

ChuckM Stunt Coordinator

My components compose of:
    case
    MoBo: Abit KD7
    Video Card: Radeon 9500
    Processor: AMD 1800+ OEM heatsink and fan
    Ram: 256 pc2700

Software
    Winbound Hardware Monitor

4. AjayM

AjayM Screenwriter

More fans is what you need, which your case may not be able to handle. 50C is not horrible for a case temp (122F), but could be improved, when I had an AMD (only 1Ghz) it ran a bit hotter than the Intel I have now (which is normal). I have one of those Antec full tower cases, and it has 3 intake fans and 3 out fans. With the AMD my temps ran right around 40-45c with case and cpu temps pretty close. With the P4-1.8 the temps dropped a good 10 degrees, so basically my temps rarely go over 100 degrees F. Of course the down side to all this is that my PC sounds like a 747 at take-off, even with quieter fans than normal.

In your case, you can see that the case is not able to remove all heat so you need to either improve the airflow or add more ways to get air in/out. If you want to get into case mod'ing you could put a "blow-hole" in the top, that will help quite a bit. And lastly, the temps you have aren't that outrageous and you could just live with them.

Andrew

5. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

The CPU temp sounds OK, but the case (motherboard) temp does seem a bit on the high side. Try to make the interior of the case as uncluttered as possible. Tidy away as many cables as you can to provide as least an impeded airflow as possible. It could be just down to the design of the case. You really should not have to go adding more fans to get a stock-speed system running at reasonable temperatures. Some are good, and well.... some aren't. All cases are not created equal.

I run three PCs here, all using Chieftec Dragon cases, AMD processors and multiple had drives (one of them has four!). Each has one intake and one exhaust fan (both Papst ultra-quiet models which have quite a low air throughput) and the case temp for each is around 30-35c.

6. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

7. Dalila

Dalila Stunt Coordinator

It's all about how much volume you can push.
    And you def want one the flow to be sorta and s through the machine from bottom to top.

First thing to look at is what kind of HSF are you using. (OEM's usually not the best cooling solution.) Right there with a quality one you could drop it a couple of degrees.

Also has as been stated, you need to be mindful of your airflow within the case, making sure all wires are zip tied out of the way, and it's also dependent on what the ambient room temp is as well. If your room temp is high, you could have a hundred fans on it, wont help a bit.

I personally, use more than 2 fans... I have several rigs, and the main one actually has a total of 4 on it. (fairly quiet ones tho) Under Extreme use, and benchmarking it will hit about 38C which is pretty darn good. AMD XP 2100 Normal use is low 30's

Basically, it's all about how you plan it out, what types of fans you use... You can also get into the more exotic cooling solutions if you want. But I don't think you will need that.

First thing I would look at though, is the HSF, and see what you can do from there. [​IMG]