Question about Suspiria Limited Edition DVD

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Aaron Cohen, Mar 3, 2003.

1. Aaron Cohen

Aaron Cohen Second Unit

I was considering picking this up but was wondering if this film would be a good blind buy. I am a fan of both foreign films and horror so I was thinking I would like it a lot from what I've heard. My main question is whether I should purchase the three-disc limited edition set for 22.99 or instead just opt for the single-disc edition at 14.99 Is the soundtrack cd commentary worth the extra money? Also, I noticed that the French audio track (which I am assuming is the original soundtrack) is in 2.0 sound while the english track is in DTS-ES 6.1....is the English dubbed track okay? Let me know, thanks!

2. Chris Tedesco

Chris Tedesco Second Unit

Well I like horror flicks so I picked up this one as a "blind buy". I will never do it again. This is the worst DVD purchase I've ever made.

Of course this is my opinion and I'm sure other people will tell you it's a great movie. I don't understand this at all. It is so bad, that I think I'd rather watch Halloween Resurrection 5 times in a row before watching this one again.

I will be curious what other people say in this thread[​IMG]

3. Aaron Cohen

Aaron Cohen Second Unit

Audio-wise though, how is the english dubbing track? If you've got the equipment, how is the DTS-ES 6.1 track? I've never watched a foreign film dubbed before (except for some anime which was TERRIBLY dubbed).

Thanks for the comment about the film though. Did you not like the story? I don't know anything about the story though I'm assuming it's about vampires?

4. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell
    There is really no original language for the film. Like many other films produced in Italy at the time period with an international cast, each actor spoke their own language on the set. The entire film was later redubbed into various languages, so every soundtrack is dubbed. The English dub featured on the disc contains the voice of lead actress Jessica Harper, and so is probably the preferrable track for most viewers for that reason. The Italian track also likely contains the voices of some of the actors, but it's unlikely that the French track features any of the actors' voices. There are no subtitles on the disc, so if you only speak English, you're stuck with the English track, anyway.

Many people criticize the English track for having a different music mix than heard previously. If you've never seen the film before, these changes are rather unlikely to bother you.

I'm also not sure what you mean by "soundtrack CD commentary," but the third disc in the set is just a soundtrack CD. The second disc in the set (which is also not included in the non-limited set) includes a recent documentary on the film, which is a treat for fans. Neither version contains a commentary on the film.

The LE is available for $18.00 shipped from DeepDiscountDVD.com, btw. Since it's not clear whether or not you'll actually like the film, it's rather hard to recommend the LE. However, if you do like the film and its music, you'll probably kick yourself if you just go for the one-disc. So, for that reason, the LE might be worthwhile.

DJ

5. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

6. Aaron Cohen

Aaron Cohen Second Unit

Sorry, I meant to ask if the soundtrack and documentary, not commentary was worthwhile. My goof. Thanks for the insight about the dubbing of the film. I think I will take a dive for the limited edition....if for some reason I really didn't care for the film too much I suppose I could sell the other two discs to someone. That, and the limited edition is only a few bucks more than the standard release....thanks for the information!

What do you think of the film, is it campy horror or one that takes itself seriously?

Thanks!

7. Aaron Cohen

Aaron Cohen Second Unit

Sorry, I didn't read your previous message before posting my previous one.

8. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

9. Chris Tedesco

I will say this, even though I hated the movie the visual and audio quality are pretty good. Remember this movie was made in the 70's, so the fact that it holds up well says something.

I do have DTS and in some parts it's pretty impressive, but I really couldn't get by the horrible acting and storyline.

10. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

It's one of the scariest movies I have ever seen and it still scares the shit out of me every time I watch it [​IMG]

That said, I could see how some could hate it... I would give 'er a rent first.

11. Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel Cinematographer

You will either love the film or you will hate it. There is no in between. I love the film, but I don't think it's one of Argento's finest (that honor goes to Phenomena) as the man has done much better. The visuals are top notch as is the soundtrack, but the movie is more "style over substance" than anything else. Now for a film like Suspiria, the "style over substance" works... but if you'd rather have a horror film that makes a lot of sense and has plot, character development, and what not, Suspiria is not the film for you.

And the film is about witches, not vampires.

12. DeanWalsh

DeanWalsh Second Unit

Another big [​IMG] for this film... It's disconcerting to see how people can hate this movie, each to their own I guess! I think I love this movie alot more than most Argento fans though. Regardless of story and acting (which I don't think are that bad), Suspiria is without a doubt one of the most atmospheric and downright scary horror films ever made, which I think not only has some of the best cinematography in an Argento film, but IMO showcases Goblin's finest and most original score (before they started getting all funky with the cheesy synths).
    I'd recommend going for the LE definitely, but whatever you do, for the full effect you have to watch this film with the lights OFF and the sound LOUD!!!! To watch it any other way would completely destroy the atmosphere that it creates.

13. Todd Robertson

Todd Robertson Second Unit

14. Simon_Lepine

Simon_Lepine Supporting Actor

Another [​IMG] here!!!

And you should get the SE, if you like the movie that means you'll like the sountrack CD, for the price difference you're beter off taking a chance and not be sorry afterwards. If you don't like the movie, you'll be pissed regardless of the version [​IMG]

Regarding the movie, I like it a lot, you have to view it as a technicolor nightmare, an experience for the senses. It has a few cheesy parts, but overall the color schemes, the cinematography and the music make for a very enjoyable, dream-like experience.

15. Chris Tedesco

Who wants to buy mine?? It has only been viewed once!!

16. Mark Edward Heuck

Mark Edward Heuck Screenwriter

Chris, I'd be willing if the price was right. I own it myself, but I could always use a spare to give as a present to someone I want to turn on to it.

17. Troy*H

Troy*H Stunt Coordinator

I love Suspiria. It is a great movie. I also agree that it isn't one of Argento's best. I would almost say Opera is better...except for the ending. Anyone know if there are any other Argento movies getting a limited edition treatment?

Troy

18. Justin_S

Justin_S Producer

SUSPIRIA is a horror masterpiece if you ask me, and it is also one of the most beautiful films I've ever had the pleasure of seeing! Dario Argento is one of my favorite directors easily, and I have to say that I do find SUSPIRIA to be his best film (just barely ahead of PHENOMENA and TENEBRE which are in a virtual tie for his second best). The score is not only Goblin's best, but its also one of the best scores I've heard in any film, period.

The film does have a plot, and a very creepy one it is. The imagery and sound all add to the creepiness. The plot is about a dance school run by a coven of witches, by the way.

An all around excellent film, and one of my favorites! I'd recommend buying the LE, as that's what I have and love.

19. Dave Morton

Dave Morton Supporting Actor

Dave
    I bought this film, sight unseen, due to comments on this board. I thought it was cheesy by todays standards. One of the problems could be all the hype that was given to this film. I ended up giving this dvd to my brother, who apparently likes it.

Just remember that this was done in the 70's and the acting and special effects are kind of, er well, not good. I would rent it first.

20. Chris Tedesco

Damn sorry Mark! I was on a roll last night and sold it to a buddy for 10 bucks. (Not bad considering you can get it for 14).

Oh well, if I ever have a movie to sell again, I'll post!