Question about surround speaker size settings..

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Kyle R, Jul 22, 2004.

1. Kyle R

Kyle R Extra

Hi everyone! This is more of an educational question than really a problem, so I hope you don't mind taking a second to clarify something for me!

So I pretty much just have a generic brand 5.1 receiver, 2 big old mains from the 70's (Sansui), 2 JBL bookshelf surrounds, and a Sony center channel, so everything is horrifically mismatched, but it still sounds good (to me, anyways). Also, no subwoofer. But my question is..

I read in a different post somewhere in the Speaker forum about having the center channel set to Large. Currently everything is setup to what I believe to be correct, center is small, and the surrounds are small. So I thought I'd try to set all of them to Large to see what would happen. While watching a few scenes in "Matrix: Reloaded", the punching of fists sound effects had absolutely no power, or thump, or bass of any kind. When I set it back to Small, I got the big THUMP that I was looking for. My question is pretty much, why? Without a subwoofer, as I understand, bass management will come from the mains. Is this because they're set to large? I know the center channel wouldn't have very much bass at all anyways, but do they really have absolutely NO bass whatsoever? What exactly do the size settings do and control?

I know I could have just asked that straight out, but I was feeling a little lonely and needed someone to talk to. LOL thanks!

2. Martino

Martino Supporting Actor

Martin O.
    A 5.1 system is capable of reproducing all frequencys out of all channels. When you set your speaker settings to small, it tells the receiver that those speakers are not able to handle the lower frequencies, and redirects the lower frequencies to a speaker that can handle them. The exact frequency that this happens at depends on your receiver, but is usually in the 100~80 hrts range. In your case, since you do not have a sub, these frequencies go to the mains (which are set to large). I'm not sure what your center channels lower frequency rating is. In most cases, these speakers are not designed to handle much low frequency information. The bottom line is, you tried a tweak, didn't like it, and put your system back to the way you like it. Tweaking is part of the fun of home theater, and sometimes they work, and sometimes they don't...

3. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

as stated, the size sets whether or not BM will be applied to that channel. By setting things to large, the bass gets routed to that channel, while small would route the bass to a sub, or in your case to whatever speakers you have set as large. Just make darn sure that in your setup your sub is set to OFF if you have no sub.

4. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Like I always say, “any surround sound is better than no surround sound!” [​IMG]

Sounds like that in setting everything to “Large,” the subwoofer was turned off by the receiver. Make sure it’s enabled.

Another thing, (assuming the sub wasn’t working) it’s possible the speakers just don’t have the low frequency capacity that your sub does.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

5. Kyle R

Kyle R Extra

Ah, I understand now. Thank you very much everyone! I guess my el-cheapo center speaker really doesn't have any low range whatsoever.. lol I was kind of hoping that it would work in tandem with the mains, so I'd get even more of a punch bass-wise, with bass coming through all 3 front speakers. Ah well, I tried. Time to save up for that sub.