Question about Surround Back

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Erik N, Jul 9, 2002.

1. Erik N

Erik N Auditioning

I currently have a 5.1 HT system which I would like to change to a 6.1 system. It is made up completely of definitive tech speakers, I'm currently using two Pro Monitor 100s as my R&L surround speakers. I really don't know anything about what to buy for a surround back... Should it be a speaker to match my Surround R&L or should it be a "center" speaker like I have in the front. Any help would be greatly appreciated. My current front center speaker is a ProCenter C2.
    I'm new, but I'm trying to learn... [​IMG]

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Welcome [​IMG]
    I have a 6.1 receiver but no good place for a rear center, so I have the wiring run and I set up the 6th channel once in a while, when I feel like it. I use an identical 3rd speaker as my surrounds for the rear center, at the same height, and it works very well.

3. Han

Han Second Unit

Even in a "6.1" system, I think the conventional thinking is to have two surround back speakers, not just one. Maybe try using a pair of Deftech's bipolar surrounds for the side surrounds while having your current pro monitor 100s as the back surrounds. Or just use four identical pro monitor 100s.
    ...And welcome to the HTF, Erik!