Question about subwoofer surge protection.

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Matt_Smi, May 21, 2004.

1. Matt_Smi

Matt_Smi Second Unit

I am considering buying the Monster surge protector in the link below for my subwoofer. My question is, since my receiver will also be plugged into a surge protector, I would not have to bother using the sub line in/outs on the sub surge protector correct? Because if my receiver cannot receive a surge, than one will not be able to travel though the receivers sub cable, and then into my sub right? I would rather not buy another sub cable that would be required to protect the sub cable though the unit, I am pretty sure that I would not have too if my receiver was already protected by a surge protector, but I just want to make sure.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-EvnaIkl...&avf=N&search=

2. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

You should be fine without running the cable through the surge protector. My only concern would be for warranty purposes. Is your main surge protector Monster? If so, then I'm sure they'd probably stand by it. If it's not then they may not. If you have good home owner's insurance then the warranty shouldn't matter too much anyway.

3. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

You're right...partially. If your receiver is plugged into the surge protector, then it's highly unlikely that a surge would travel down the sub cable and affect your sub. However, your sub's power cord must be somehow surge protected. You didn't mention where it's plugged in.

4. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

[​IMG]

5. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

Well yes, it would make sense for him to buy that Monster thing and plug the sub into it. But he mentioned nothing about power in his original post...all he mentioned doing was surge protecting via the line level in/outs (Which is of course, unnecessary).

Anyways, what it boils down to is if you don't need those fancy gimmicks the Monster thing gives you, buy a good regular surge protector, be it a power bar or a one outlet thing...it'll cost you much less and effectively do the same thing.

6. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

[​IMG]

well of course he's going to plug the sub into it!

he's asking if it's really necessary to use the rca protection, as well.

7. StephenL

StephenL Second Unit

A surge protector will limit surges between hot, neutral and ground, but a surge can also cause a large difference in potential between interconnected components that are not plugged into the same surge protector. That difference in potential will equalize through the cables connecting the components, possibly causing damage. If you're going to use a separate surge protector for your subwoofer you should take advantage of the protection it provides for the RCA connectors. Here's another surge protector to consider:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=151599