1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Question about Subs

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Howard_S, Nov 27, 2001.

1. Howard_S

Howard_S Supporting Actor

Hi. I've been just started fiddling with subs. I was wondering what I should do if I know where the bass is coming from. Is localized the word for it? Should I be playing with the crossovers or the volume?

2. Robert Lovejoy

Robert Lovejoy Stunt Coordinator

Both, but it's also important to have the phase adjusted properly. On most models this is a switch (0 - 180), on some it is a variable control. The proper crossover setting depends on where your mains start to fall off. If your sub is hooked up to an AV receiver through a .1 output, the receiver usually does the bass management so you may set your crossover higher, depending on whether you told it you had large mains or not. Levels are best calibrated with a reference disc like the Avia, but it doesn't hurt to experiment if you don't have access to such a disc.

It can take some time to fine tune a sub to a system and room. Have fun!

3. Howard_S

Howard_S Supporting Actor

Right now I set my volume 3/4 of the way and crossover at 80. I have Paradigm Studio60s for front. Time to upgrade sub?

4. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    Your being able to localize your sub could come from a number of issues:

- Cabinet resonances or distortions at higher frequencies (which are easy to localize). A poorly made cabinet or overdriving the design (port chugging) are some examples. If this is the case you may want to upgrade.

- Improper tuning. Play around with your phase and volume settings. You are using a SPL meter to calibrate, right?

- Poor room placement. This could cause large peaks at various frequencies. Get a test tone CD and measure tones from 20-80Hz on your SPL meter. Is it reasonably flat? What about at different seating positions?

So which sub are you currently having trouble with?