What's new

question about sub volume level (Sony SAWM40) (1 Viewer)

Paul_Fisher

Screenwriter
I've been reading posts here that say you should set your sub volume level to only halfway and use the receiver to control the volume. Well, I have a Kenwood 2080 receiver that I got 3 years ago that is 100 x 5 channels with Dolby Digital and when I set the sub volume to half I really don't get any bass unless I use the receiver to turn it up to like +6 or +7 dB.

Is there a problem doing this? Should I turn the volume on the sub more or use the receiver? Thanks for replies.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Hey Paul,

I have my Sony SA-WM40 volume set at 3/4 and my Outlaw 1050 sub volume is at +3 (I realize every receiver is different but used just for example)

I also have my sub's crossover set all the way up and the receiver's crossover set at 80 and for me that gives me plenty of volume for the sub.

How do you have your crossovers set up??

Alfer

Paul_Fisher

Screenwriter
I have my crossover set up right in the middle (between 50hz and 170hz, so I guess 110hz), but I turn it up all the way when using Dolby Digital of course. But I really don't understand what to do with the crossover. My main speakers are JBL S26's which don't have that much bass.

The only time I can get really deep bass (while watching the depth charge scene on U571) is to turn the sub volume up to about 3/4 or more and turn the sub on the receiver up to like +6 or +7. Then I get a good rumble.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I would recommend you calibrate the level of the sub to match all of your speakers using a test disc and SPL meter. Just guessing will not give you proper sound. Do a search, this has been covered a number of times.

Jerry AZ

Stunt Coordinator
I used the AVIA disk and with my Onkyo 595 I have the power set to 1/3, crossover all the way up, and the receiver output at -5. This gives me about 3-4 db above reference on my SPL meter. This works good for Dolby and DTS movies, but I set the receiver level to 0 or +1 for music listening.

Scott Burke

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott B.
I actually took the advice of another HTF member and turned the volume of my sub all the way up( I have the same sub). I then used a test disc to set all levels using the recievers volume level. I did have to turn it down some in order to balance the level, but this works well for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.