Question about sub and volume

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MichelleH, Jan 22, 2003.

1. MichelleH

MichelleH Auditioning

Can anyone tell me why my subwoofer only stays on when the volume on the receiver is way up. I have had a lot of problems with this subwoofer turning off and on but have found out that if you turn the volume up it will stay on but it is very loud and not comfortable to listen to. Please help!!

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Michelle,

I don’t have a sub like this, but I’ve seen others on the Forum recommend this: Turn up the sub level on the receiver, and turn it [/i]down[/i] on the sub.

The net result should be the same overall level you have now. However, the sub will be getting a hotter signal all the time (the same thing you’re accomplishing now by turning up the volume really high) and should stay on better.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. Rick_Brown

Rick_Brown Second Unit

Sounds like your sub is shutting down because it does not sense a strong enough signal to activate the auto-sensor. Most receivers allow you to turn up the sub level via a setup menu. You can then compensate by turning the volume control on the sub lower to a more comfortable level. This may fix the problem.

(Edit - Oops! Looks like Wayne beat me to it!)

4. MichelleH

MichelleH Auditioning

Thanks!! I just tried this. I set the subwoofer as high as it would go on the receiver and turned the volume on it down and watched the same scene on a dvd that it was happening and it didn't shut off. I hope that takes care of the problem for good!! Thanks again!!